I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Re: I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:40 pm

Btw, I just discovered that my Pseudoneoponera queen with two antenna has an egg.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:12 am

I wish I knew other ant keepers in my area
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:55 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Yeah, a lot of us have that issue. Many Antkeepers who are in your area aren’t active in forums, and make one or two post requesting an ID and never really come back.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:26 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Yeah, a lot of us have that issue. Many Antkeepers who are in your area aren’t active in forums, and make one or two post requesting an ID and never really come back.
I like interacting with other ant keepers, talk about ants, and even other stuff. One of the reasons why I'm so active.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:42 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
I like interacting with other ant keepers, talk about ants, and even other stuff. One of the reasons why I'm so active.
That’s also why I am active, and I also tend to learn based on journals and ID request.

JaydenScheepers

Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:56 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:42 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

That’s also why I am active, and I also tend to learn based on journals and ID request.
Hopefully someday, I would be able to confidently answer other people's questions, and help them too.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:44 pm

The queen with one antenna, she got a larvae, but ate it. I don't know why, but it doesn't look like she goes and forages in her out world. Maybe she doesn't know she has one, I'm also trying to get her to move out of her dirty ytong nest and into the out world. What do I do?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:47 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
The queen with one antenna, she got a larvae, but ate it. I don't know why, but it doesn't look like she goes and forages in her out world. Maybe she doesn't know she has one, I'm also trying to get her to move out of her dirty ytong nest and into the out world. What do I do?
Check local reptile stores and see if they have springtails, they significantly help with cleanup. I never have to clean my Odontomachus ytong nest, unless I over feed them. What do you mean, into the outworld? She will not dig another founding chamber, so it would deplete her energy searching for another nesting space. Could you upload pictures of the nest? Also, provide substrate for her to place on the mold. Sometimes it kills the mold, so be sure to take that precaution with all ytong nest. How big are Pseduponera?

Also, she may be nocturnal or forage under leaves(or any decoration). With size I can get a better understanding of the situation, so please provide that.

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:08 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:47 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Check local reptile stores and see if they have springtails, they significantly help with cleanup. I never have to clean my Odontomachus ytong nest, unless I over feed them. What do you mean, into the outworld? She will not dig another founding chamber, so it would deplete her energy searching for another nesting space. Could you upload pictures of the nest? Also, provide substrate for her to place on the mold. Sometimes it kills the mold, so be sure to take that precaution with all ytong nest. How big are Pseduponera?

Also, she may be nocturnal or forage under leaves(or any decoration). With size I can get a better understanding of the situation, so please provide that.
Sorry I mean moving her into the test tube, not out world. Their both about the length of my C. parius queen, 2 cm. Your right I could put some substrate in the out world along with some of my springtails, I have an isopod and springtail culture, I could also add some isopods fore her to hunt.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:15 pm

Good point maybe she is nocturnal, but I wasn't trying to catch her in the out world. I was looking for changes within the out world to suggest she did something.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1