I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Re: I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:42 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:42 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:37 am
Damm, I don't know of my P. rufipes queen keeps eating her eggs, but their taking a long time to incubate. No larvae yet, and my other P. rufipes queen hasn't started laying yet.
How long has it taken? My Odontomachus queens take 3 months for eggs to hatch without heat.
Well, I have had her since June 9th and she pretty much layed eggs within the first day. And usually it is 28-30°C in my room, however yesterday was different, because it was raining all the time.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:17 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:37 am
Damm, I don't know of my P. rufipes queen keeps eating her eggs, but their taking a long time to incubate. No larvae yet, and my other P. rufipes queen hasn't started laying yet.
How long has it taken? My Odontomachus queens take 3 months for eggs to hatch without heat.
Well, I have had her since June 9th and she pretty much layed eggs within the first day. And usually it is 28-30°C in my room, however yesterday was different, because it was raining all the time.
My queens I caught lay eggs on the way home, it’s crazy how fast they start. A good percentage I find with eggs though. I even found one with a larvae!
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:47 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:17 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

My queens I caught lay eggs on the way home, it’s crazy how fast they start. A good percentage I find with eggs though. I even found one with a larvae!
I don't have much luck when it comes to queens laying eggs, she was the only one to lay so quickly. My C. parius queen took about 3 day to lay hers. The Pheidole parva queens, their a confusing bunch, I believe some of the queens tried to lay eggs, but the others ate it or they themselves ate it. They have a big and healthy batch of eggs now which the seem to be caring for now, only took like a week. My new Pseudoneoponera queen, hasn't started yet. And... my Asian turtle ant, she died unfortunately. Oh yes my Odontomachus simillimus or yucatecus queen started laying pretty quickly, like one or two days after I caught her.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:51 pm

Honestly I would love to start a colony of asian weaver ants or even arboreal bicolored slender ants, there are many of those in my area l, but I can't seem to find queens for either one.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:00 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Honestly I would love to start a colony of asian weaver ants or even arboreal bicolored slender ants, there are many of those in my area l, but I can't seem to find queens for either one.
Weaver anta are flying right now and their nuptial flights are ending soon. Tetraponera rufonigra queens are rare and hard to come by but you can try looking for some from November to March as many people including myself have encountered queens during that time. Raising them is even harder though.

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:04 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Weaver anta are flying right now and their nuptial flights are ending soon. Tetraponera rufonigra queens are rare and hard to come by but you can try looking for some from November to March as many people including myself have encountered queens during that time. Raising them is even harder though.
Alright correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you can just expect a weaver ant queen to be walking on the side walk like any other queen, you should be looking on leaves and stuff right?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:07 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Alright correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you can just expect a weaver ant queen to be walking on the side walk like any other queen, you should be looking on leaves and stuff right?
You indeed can find them walking on sidewalks. Founding queens are usually found on or underneath a curled leaf.

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:09 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:07 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

You indeed can find them walking on sidewalks. Founding queens are usually found on or underneath a curled leaf.
Ok, it rained a lot yesterday and probably also at night.
So I'm confident today would be a good time to look.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:00 am

Hey SYUTEO, you said nuptial flight for dinomyrmex is starting soon, do you know when that will be and when will it end?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:39 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:00 am
Hey SYUTEO, you said nuptial flight for dinomyrmex is starting soon, do you know when that will be and when will it end?
According to AntsCanada's nuptial flight video, their flights should be starting at around August and will last all the way to December. Although they do occasionally fly year round. Here's the link to that video if you want: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfaK8TvM0qA&t=684s