I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SYUTEO

Re: I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:20 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:09 am
SYUTEO wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:00 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:05 am

I have a feeling the search for a wondering dealate will take me very long, plus the fact that their strictly nocturnal doesn't make anything easier.
You can find some wandering around in the early morning and sometimes in noon and afternoon.
Ok got it. Also talk about having patience for starting an ant colony. Before I started I thought that was the easy part, however for some reason not checking up on the queen and just leaving her there for a week was the single most difficult thing for me to do.
Patience is key in antkeeping. Honestly though, even after keeping ants for so long I still get impatient sometimes, especially the time when I'm waiting for my Gnamptogenys queen's cocoons to hatch and right now waiting for my Tetraponera queen's eggs to hatch.

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:36 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:20 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:09 am
SYUTEO wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:00 am

You can find some wandering around in the early morning and sometimes in noon and afternoon.
Ok got it. Also talk about having patience for starting an ant colony. Before I started I thought that was the easy part, however for some reason not checking up on the queen and just leaving her there for a week was the single most difficult thing for me to do.
Patience is key in antkeeping. Honestly though, even after keeping ants for so long I still get impatient sometimes, especially the time when I'm waiting for my Gnamptogenys queen's cocoons to hatch and right now waiting for my Tetraponera queen's eggs to hatch.
Oh nice, good luck with them. I'm actually creating a AAC based nest for my C. parius ants, for a small colony with 9 workers they have a pretty big brood pile and plenty of eggs.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:52 pm

Does anyone know what apophyseal in the context of ants mean? Because they use that word when describing the difference between Odontomachus and it's sister genus Anochetus. The reason why I want to know is because I am trying to ID my trap jaw ant. Also while I'm here, what is the difference between Pheidole and Solenopsis?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:26 am

Guys, I'm starting to get concerned. Two workers of my C. parius colony has died, maybe I should remove the test tube from their new nest?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

Antloverhuman

Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:14 pm

How long do you have this colony for? Maybe just the nanitics dying or the previous generations
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:38 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Does anyone know what apophyseal in the context of ants mean? Because they use that word when describing the difference between Odontomachus and it's sister genus Anochetus. The reason why I want to know is because I am trying to ID my trap jaw ant. Also while I'm here, what is the difference between Pheidole and Solenopsis?
Odontomachus are typically much larger than annocehtus, but here(I have no idea what it means :lol:)

Externally visible lines that mark the internal track of cuticular processes for muscle attachment.

https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Morphological_Terms#Apophyseal_lines

This probably won’t help, but pheidole majors have much bigger heads. Also pheidole are typically smaller over here in North America.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

JaydenScheepers

Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:34 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:14 pm
How long do you have this colony for? Maybe just the nanitics dying or the previous generations
I've had the queen since 13th of May, the first few nanitics appeared in about 14-18 June. They didn't arrive in the same day, but in a four day period. I don't think they died of age because not even a month went by.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:03 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:38 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Odontomachus are typically much larger than annocehtus, but here(I have no idea what it means :lol:)

Externally visible lines that mark the internal track of cuticular processes for muscle attachment.

https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Morphological_Terms#Apophyseal_lines

This probably won’t help, but pheidole majors have much bigger heads. Also pheidole are typically smaller over here in North America.
Alright thanks.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:37 am

Damm, I don't know of my P. rufipes queen keeps eating her eggs, but their taking a long time to incubate. No larvae yet, and my other P. rufipes queen hasn't started laying yet.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:42 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:37 am
Damm, I don't know of my P. rufipes queen keeps eating her eggs, but their taking a long time to incubate. No larvae yet, and my other P. rufipes queen hasn't started laying yet.
How long has it taken? My Odontomachus queens take 3 months for eggs to hatch without heat.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…