I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Re: I need assistance with my Pseudoneoponera.

Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:33 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:09 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:04 pm
https://imgur.com/gallery/6PNhIUW
I caught a different Pseudoneoponera looking for termites for my Camponotus parius colony, and luckily this one had both antenna l :D. I could swear I saw wing marks of both sides of her thorax, I couldn't see a peace of the wing, however I did see marks where the wings would have been if she had them, I tried capturing it on my camera, but couldn't quite do it. I gave her a worker termite in hopes that the extra protein would encourage her to start the egg laying process. However when she came in contact with the termite she sprayed foam at the termite, and some got on her water cotton. It this stuff toxic, and how to I clean it so she can safely start raising brood?
This one definitely looks like a queen!

Foam spraying is a trait across almost if not all Pseudoneoponera species and one species of Pachycondyla, the spray it when they feel scared or threatend and it's created by the atrophication of the Dufour's gland mixed with venom gland proteins and air.
Oh that's interesting. I went ahead and identified these two ants and I'm fairly confident they are P. rufipes. However I still could not figure out if their foam is actually toxic to themselves if consumed.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:36 am

This is fairly random, but I would absolutely love to try and keep Atta ants (leafcutter ants).
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

Antloverhuman

Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:34 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
This is fairly random, but I would absolutely love to try and keep Atta ants (leafcutter ants).
Sadly according to antweb there aren't any leafcutter ants in Thailand. They are also my dream species and i also want to keep them but same reason :/
But i have heard that it is very difficult to raise them from single queen because sometimes the fungus garden doesn't start and the queen dies and they need a constant source of a type of leaf (i believe they only use hibiscus or some plant like that) to keep the garden alive
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

JaydenScheepers

Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:45 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:34 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Sadly according to antweb there aren't any leafcutter ants in Thailand. They are also my dream species and i also want to keep them but same reason :/
But i have heard that it is very difficult to raise them from single queen because sometimes the fungus garden doesn't start and the queen dies and they need a constant source of a type of leaf (i believe they only use hibiscus or some plant like that) to keep the garden alive
I'm tempted to try and go to South America just to try and keep them. However there still are pretty cool ants here, like dinomyrmex, my trap jaw colony, and Camponotus parius. I'm not sure if I'll even get the chance to own dinomyrmex, not sure if their on this island.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:16 pm

Does anyone have any advice on finding and keeping dinomyrmex gigas?
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:30 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
D. gigas usually lives in primary undisturbed forests, they are also nocturnal. Not sure if they are found in Phuket but antmaps says they are found in Hat Yai but they are found as far north as Myanmar. If you can go to a primary forest you can go and see if they are found there. Nuptial flights of this species should be starting soon and often happen at night or early morning. Raising the queens take patience, a lot of it. Egg to worker takes 3-4 months and they are also very sensitive to light and vibrations. Their founding setup is usually a small plastic container filled with soil, don't let the soil dry out. Or you can use a test tube that is big enough to fit the queen. Not sure about what they eat but you can try feeding the usual stuff you feed to Camponotus.

JaydenScheepers

Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:16 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
D. gigas usually lives in primary undisturbed forests, they are also nocturnal. Not sure if they are found in Phuket but antmaps says they are found in Hat Yai but they are found as far north as Myanmar. If you can go to a primary forest you can go and see if they are found there. Nuptial flights of this species should be starting soon and often happen at night or early morning. Raising the queens take patience, a lot of it. Egg to worker takes 3-4 months and they are also very sensitive to light and vibrations. Their founding setup is usually a small plastic container filled with soil, don't let the soil dry out. Or you can use a test tube that is big enough to fit the queen. Not sure about what they eat but you can try feeding the usual stuff you feed to Camponotus.
Alright thanks. I'll try and find them during the holiday. Get the coffee.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:05 am

SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
I have a feeling the search for a wondering dealate will take me very long, plus the fact that their strictly nocturnal doesn't make anything easier.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:00 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
I have a feeling the search for a wondering dealate will take me very long, plus the fact that their strictly nocturnal doesn't make anything easier.
You can find some wandering around in the early morning and sometimes in noon and afternoon.

JaydenScheepers

Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:09 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:00 am
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

You can find some wandering around in the early morning and sometimes in noon and afternoon.
Ok got it. Also talk about having patience for starting an ant colony. Before I started I thought that was the easy part, however for some reason not checking up on the queen and just leaving her there for a week was the single most difficult thing for me to do.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1