Merging Carpenter Ant Colonies.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Mohammadmacapundag

Merging Carpenter Ant Colonies.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:06 pm

I need help on how to do this correctly cuz I think I have to much Carpenter Ant Queens. I found all of them in the same spot so I think they from the same colony I put a carpenter ant worker from the same area in one of there setups and first the queen opened her mandibles a little but she stopped showing signs of aggression after a few minutes. The ant worker interacted with a queen a little but then tried to open the test tube (Did not work obviously) so I took the ant worker ant out and left the queen alone. I'm not planning to do this now but when they start having workers this is just a small test. So how do I do this correctly when the time comes?
Currently Founding...
Carpenter Ant Queen (Camponotus Pennsylvanicus)6-9 Eggs, 2-3 larva, and 6-10 Workers

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Merging Carpenter Ant Colonies.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:02 pm

Mohammadmacapundag wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:06 pm
I need help on how to do this correctly cuz I think I have to much Carpenter Ant Queens. I found all of them in the same spot so I think they from the same colony I put a carpenter ant worker from the same area in one of there setups and first the queen opened her mandibles a little but she stopped showing signs of aggression after a few minutes. The ant worker interacted with a queen a little but then tried to open the test tube (Did not work obviously) so I took the ant worker ant out and left the queen alone. I'm not planning to do this now but when they start having workers this is just a small test. So how do I do this correctly when the time comes?
Well…. You don’t, as it doesn’t work with non highly polgynos ants. I would sell extras, which typically go for 50$ with workers where I live
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Mohammadmacapundag

Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:40 pm

I heared they would mearge if conditions are rough. What do you think?
Currently Founding...
Carpenter Ant Queen (Camponotus Pennsylvanicus)6-9 Eggs, 2-3 larva, and 6-10 Workers

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:25 am

Mohammadmacapundag wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:40 pm
I heared they would mearge if conditions are rough. What do you think?
The workers, but rarely. Might say goodbye to the queens…
When you accidentally reply to yourself…