White mold in out world

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

NewAntKeeper

White mold in out world

Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:23 am

Long story short, i dumped my queen out with her eggs into my out world with water. Her eggs were in peril and that was the only thing I could think of doing. A few days later, mold has now started growing in my out world. Just a few moments ago i tried wiping the mold off with vinegar, and wiped again to dry it out with alcohol.

Not sure if any of this will work, but does anyone have advice on how to clean up/prevent mold in a plastic container out world with cement-like ground covered in dried moss, sticks, and pebbles?

Antloverhuman

Re: White mold in out world

Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:35 am

If there mold in the outworld it means you watered it. You can just shift the queen back in a tt setup and clean the outworld and then leave it in the sun for a day and then it would be fine
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:12 am

First it's important to know what species of ants you have. If it's Messor Barbarus for example, they create white lines sometimes where they go to the toilet or it's part of the fungus that they grow sometimes.

Could you also include some pictures so we get a better look at what's going on?
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

NewAntKeeper

Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:30 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
First it's important to know what species of ants you have. If it's Messor Barbarus for example, they create white lines sometimes where they go to the toilet or it's part of the fungus that they grow sometimes.

Could you also include some pictures so we get a better look at what's going on?
Species is Camponotus pennsylvanicus.
Best i got for pictures is how it looked before the mold because I removed it for the most part already. Can still get some more pictures if it helps.

Here's the setup:
Image Image

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:05 am

NewAntKeeper wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:30 am
AntsLuxembourg wrote:

Species is Camponotus pennsylvanicus.
Best i got for pictures is how it looked before the mold because I removed it for the most part already. Can still get some more pictures if it helps.

Here's the setup:
Image Image
Campo are generally messy. For one of my colonies, I take the glass off every week to remove moldy trash, and it’s something I don’t recommend for beginners as workers can be quite agressive.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Antloverhuman

Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:29 am

I thought there was only the queen. Well you can just remove the nest from the ow and then just clean the ow
Ants I have-

NewAntKeeper

Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:16 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:05 am

Campo are generally messy. For one of my colonies, I take the glass off every week to remove moldy trash, and it’s something I don’t recommend for beginners as workers can be quite agressive.
Antloverhuman wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:29 am
I thought there was only the queen. Well you can just remove the nest from the ow and then just clean the ow
There's queen, eggs, and, just starting yesterday, 1 nanite.

What do i clean the out world with? I looked online and there wasn't a way to clean a cement-like outworld. Also i would believe using vinegar and alcohol is fine this time, but will be terrible for the ants health if i have to clean it again.

Antloverhuman

Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:54 pm

I think you should clean it and then remove the things that can mold like moss or other natural materials. Also make sure the outworld stays as dry as possible to prevent more mold
Ants I have-

NewAntKeeper

Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:19 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:54 pm
I think you should clean it and then remove the things that can mold like moss or other natural materials. Also make sure the outworld stays as dry as possible to prevent more mold
Ok, then I'll take the natural stuff out as much as I can and assume that using vinegar and alcohol is fine.
...so long as the ants are blocked off and the outworld is aired out before being connected back.