queen ant is seizing and itching

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

jasperdawn95

Another update

Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:38 pm

Egg production is super slow for this queen. She has laid 2 eggs and im not sure they're viable. One was on the wall of her tiny dish, and the other on the floor. They havent grown and there have been no more eggs. It's been 2 weeks. I got the one off the wall as gently as i could, i imagine she had laid it on her water ball and that's how it got there. She's always on top of her water ball. I'm not disturbing her habitat as much as possible. I replace her water ball every 3 to 5 days. Same as my other queens.

My field ant is doing very very well she has the most eggs of all but I'm not sure she is getting any water. When I change the other queens' water balls, they are drier than hers. Never completely dry. Hers is almost always as wet as the day I put it in. I'm worried the extra moisture will effect her eggs. She hugs it and hides behind it. I do have a slightly different set up for her than the other queens. She is in the smallest storage bowl I could find at the store. It's a bit larger than the tiny ex-mealworm dishes the other two ants are in. And it has a rubber ring to seal the bowl from spills. Should I remove that ring?

My last queen isn't doing as well as I'd hoped. She has mold in her set up I must remove each time I change her water ball. And she ate her eggs. She laid more, but I'm worried she will eat these too. Her water ball isn't molding, it's the bowl itself. Should I change her to a new sterile bowl? How would I move her eggs?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Another update

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:53 am

jasperdawn95 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:38 pm
Egg production is super slow for this queen. She has laid 2 eggs and im not sure they're viable. One was on the wall of her tiny dish, and the other on the floor. They havent grown and there have been no more eggs. It's been 2 weeks. I got the one off the wall as gently as i could, i imagine she had laid it on her water ball and that's how it got there. She's always on top of her water ball. I'm not disturbing her habitat as much as possible. I replace her water ball every 3 to 5 days. Same as my other queens.

My field ant is doing very very well she has the most eggs of all but I'm not sure she is getting any water. When I change the other queens' water balls, they are drier than hers. Never completely dry. Hers is almost always as wet as the day I put it in. I'm worried the extra moisture will effect her eggs. She hugs it and hides behind it. I do have a slightly different set up for her than the other queens. She is in the smallest storage bowl I could find at the store. It's a bit larger than the tiny ex-mealworm dishes the other two ants are in. And it has a rubber ring to seal the bowl from spills. Should I remove that ring?

My last queen isn't doing as well as I'd hoped. She has mold in her set up I must remove each time I change her water ball. And she ate her eggs. She laid more, but I'm worried she will eat these too. Her water ball isn't molding, it's the bowl itself. Should I change her to a new sterile bowl? How would I move her eggs?
The queen may be waiting to lay egg until after diapause, as it may sense the cold season coming.

Don't force a move, just attach a new tube and she will move on her own. If there is any significant mold buildup, you should attach a new tube.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…