Multiple Queen Solenopsis Invicta Colony

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SeanSz

Multiple Queen Solenopsis Invicta Colony

Sun May 08, 2022 9:25 pm

I recently posted about this topic, but I am looking for some clarification. Has anyone ever raised a multiple queen fire ant colony? How did you do it? Right now, I have 5 fire ant queens in a large AC Hybrid Nest 2.0 with a little soil and moistened moss. The ants have plenty of space, and some have burrowed into the soil, while others are dwelling in the moss or by the hydration cotton balls I placed for them. Will this work? Could the five queens fuse their young colonies into one once the first workers arrive? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Multiple Queen Solenopsis Invicta Colony

Sun May 08, 2022 10:22 pm

SeanSz wrote:
I recently posted about this topic, but I am looking for some clarification. Has anyone ever raised a multiple queen fire ant colony? How did you do it? Right now, I have 5 fire ant queens in a large AC Hybrid Nest 2.0 with a little soil and moistened moss. The ants have plenty of space, and some have burrowed into the soil, while others are dwelling in the moss or by the hydration cotton balls I placed for them. Will this work? Could the five queens fuse their young colonies into one once the first workers arrive? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!
ATTENTION
The workers may kill all but one queen after hatching. Due not be worried, this is common. Sometimes, it is gradual like after 100 workers a queen dies, 1000 another dies, then another, and so on. Sometimes, workers don’t do anything(Death-wise)I have heard and read someone raised a mature 22 queen colony from founding
Feed the colony well from the start.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SeanSz

Re: Multiple Queen Solenopsis Invicta Colony

Mon May 09, 2022 5:55 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:22 pm
SeanSz wrote:
ATTENTION
The workers may kill all but one queen after hatching. Due not be worried, this is common. Sometimes, it is gradual like after 100 workers a queen dies, 1000 another dies, then another, and so on. Sometimes, workers don’t do anything(Death-wise)I have heard and read someone raised a mature 22 queen colony from founding
Feed the colony well from the start.
Good to know! Thank you very much for the advice and comment!