Myrmica Rubra Colony Tips?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

ChickenWing81

Myrmica Rubra Care Tips?

Sat May 07, 2022 4:21 pm

I’m 10 and have just got into ant keeping.. I have a colony of Myrmica Rubra with about 50 workers and 2 queens. We have given them a new acrylic nest and are giving them the time if they decide to move into it from their test tube. I’m probably doing this too early too. However, I’m finding dead ants all over the place. The nest was bought off bestantsuk.com and I’m unsure how to control the humidity. Currently it has ticked up to 86, which is too high, and I don’t know what to do, or if workers are dying because of this. Have they just reached the end of their lifespan? Is it even the humidity? I don’t think they are starving because I have given them protein jelly and honey. I can’t find any information on the lifespan of a worker. Anything will help
Keeping:
. Lasius Niger
. Myrmica Rubra

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Myrmica Rubra Colony Tips?

Sat May 07, 2022 10:48 pm

ChickenWing81 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 4:00 pm
I’m 10 and have just got into ant keeping.. I have a colony of Myrmica Rubra with about 50 workers and 2 queens. We have given them a new acrylic nest and are giving them the time if they decide to move into it from their test tube. I’m probably doing this too early too. However, I’m finding dead ants all over the place. The nest was bought off bestantsuk.com and I’m unsure how to control the humidity. Currently it has ticked up to 86, which is too high, and I don’t know what to do, or if workers are dying because of this. Have they just reached the end of their lifespan? Is it even the humidity? I don’t think they are starving because I have given them protein jelly and honey. I can’t find any information on the lifespan of a worker. Anything will help

Edit: I really should have posted this in the Ants And Ant Keeping section but I didn’t, sorry
No worries! Most ants workers live anywhere between 4-30 weeks depending on size, generation, nesting condition, genetics etc.

After looking over the care guide, it seems partially correct. Ytong nest are bad for species that are small as they can chew their way out.

Here is the care guide
https://www.antkeepers.com/keeping-ants/care-sheets-species/care-sheet-myrmica-rubra-european-fire-ant/

Help with Hydration
How often do you water the nest? Acrylic nest hold humidity VERY WELL. Only water the nest every 3-4 days, but someone who actually keeps myrmica needs to confirm this. Also, if you think the nest is too big, watch the video linked to learn how to make a “tubs and tubes” setup and “tubes and cubes”

Jordan Dean’s Tubs and tubes-
https://youtu.be/8edRYbn65Oo

Ender Ants Cubes and tubes-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pJg2ukKJqtU

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

ChickenWing81

Sun May 08, 2022 3:41 am

Thanks!

SYUTEO

Re: Myrmica Rubra Care Tips?

Sun May 08, 2022 9:11 am

It's probably the humidity, try heating one side of the nest to dry out some of the water. Don't heat the entire nest as it may also cause a problem.

AntsLuxembourg

Tue May 10, 2022 6:23 am

Fixed the topic for you. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

ChickenWing81

Wed May 11, 2022 9:57 am

We have left them alone for a bit and they seem to be doing better. I don’t think the humidity sensor is really very accurate because at 90% the glass would be foggy (which it isn’t). We have given them a foraging area too, they’re liking the crickets and protein jelly. We’re also giving them honey which came with them. A few seconds ago we switched out their jelly because it goes bad within days, they’re already all over it. Possibly a false alarm but I’ll come back here for tips if I ever need it.
Keeping:
. Lasius Niger
. Myrmica Rubra

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed May 11, 2022 11:24 am

ChickenWing81 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:57 am
We have left them alone for a bit and they seem to be doing better. I don’t think the humidity sensor is really very accurate because at 90% the glass would be foggy (which it isn’t). We have given them a foraging area too, they’re liking the crickets and protein jelly. We’re also giving them honey which came with them. A few seconds ago we switched out their jelly because it goes bad within days, they’re already all over it. Possibly a false alarm but I’ll come back here for tips if I ever need it.
Hopefully you can help anyone who needs help with these ants in the future
When you accidentally reply to yourself…