non-stressful transfer

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

loupgaroupgris

non-stressful transfer

Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:49 pm

I have a queen Camponotus pennsylvanicus that I brought out out of hibernation a month ago. She as no workers yet but some eggs are growing so I'm hopeful.
The only thing is that her water supply is running low and the water is dirty. Not to mention the waste/mold growing.
What I would like to know is:
If any of you have some useful tips to get her to move to the new test tube without causing her too much stress.
And, should I just ""bite the bullet"" and force her to move so she does not die from thirst due to stubbornness.

Also a random question, but would a heat light or lamp be good way to get heat to help with egg production?

https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Camponotus_pennsylvanicus

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: non-stressful transfer

Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:31 am

loupgaroupgris wrote:
I have a queen Camponotus pennsylvanicus that I brought out out of hibernation a month ago. She as no workers yet but some eggs are growing so I'm hopeful.
The only thing is that her water supply is running low and the water is dirty. Not to mention the waste/mold growing.
If any of you have some useful tips to get her to move to the new test tube without causing her too much stress.
And, should I just ""bite the bullet"" and force her to move so she does not die from thirst due to stubbornness.

Also a random question, but would a heat light or lamp be good way to get heat to help with egg production?

If your heat lamp emits light, no. Most ants see red light, but are more disturbed by white light. I recommend getting a new tube, taping it to the end of her tube, and putting both tubes in the dark taped together. She may move if discovered, as if she runs out of water, I believe she will look for a better nesting spot.

You could also continuously wet the Cotten blocking the entrance, but this will be a hassle and hard not to disturb her too much.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

loupgaroupgris

Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:30 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
loupgaroupgris wrote:

If your heat lamp emits light, no. Most ants see red light, but are more disturbed by white light. I recommend getting a new tube, taping it to the end of her tube, and putting both tubes in the dark taped together. She may move if discovered, as if she runs out of water, I believe she will look for a better nesting spot.

You could also continuously wet the Cotten blocking the entrance, but this will be a hassle and hard not to disturb her too much.

(Sorry for the late reply)
Alright I did that, I will update if I see her move.
AS for the light, does that still apply if she is covered by a cloth?
If a light wont work, would a cotton or just any old winter glove work?
That would surely help keep heat in right?

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:40 pm

loupgaroupgris wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
loupgaroupgris wrote:

Would that be a fire hazard with a cloth? I am unsure. You could try it with another tube attached, so if they wanted a place without red light they could move.

loupgaroupgris

Tue May 10, 2022 5:00 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:40 pm
loupgaroupgris wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Would that be a fire hazard with a cloth? I am unsure. You could try it with another tube attached, so if they wanted a place without red light they could move.
True, I've tried putting the "good" tube under a wool sock, maybe that will keep the heat in?
Also update but kind of a useless one. She as still not move. She's still alive but for some reason refuses to move.

loupgaroupgris

Mon May 16, 2022 6:35 pm

Well sad update for anyone who cares but the queen I wanted to transfer is dead.
Funny enough she did finally end up moving to the other test tube...to die.
Guess I will just never have that working ant colony.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon May 16, 2022 10:03 pm

loupgaroupgris wrote:
Well sad update for anyone who cares but the queen I wanted to transfer is dead.
Sorry for your loss. :(

Hopefully you find new queens in the upcoming nuptial flights!

loupgaroupgris

Tue May 17, 2022 10:50 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 10:03 pm
loupgaroupgris wrote:
Sorry for your loss. :(

Hopefully you find new queens in the upcoming nuptial flights!
I'm hoping to find the same type of queen but honestly I wonder if I should just give up.
I cant seem to get pass the test tube phase. Sometimes the transfer thing. I get workers and all but never enough to really start a real nest. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I try not to disturb them unless its for transfers and checking the water content. And I try to put them in a place where their should be some small amount of heat but nothing seems to ever work.
Its been a couple years at this point and I've never been able to make it work.
Sorry for the rambling, its just frustrating that after all this time I've never been able to get ONE nest to work out.

Antloverhuman

Tue May 17, 2022 11:09 am

Don't stress it too much dude, sometimes it can be really frustrating if a colony doesn't succeed. I guess you could try to find a different queen species which would have much more survival rate like lasius. Also i would suggest that if you ever get some workers, try giving them more protein than sugar so the population grows faster
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Dont give up

Tue May 17, 2022 4:27 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:09 am
Don't stress it too much dude, sometimes it can be really frustrating if a colony doesn't succeed. I guess you could try to find a different queen species which would have much more survival rate like lasius. Also i would suggest that if you ever get some workers, try giving them more protein than sugar so the population grows faster
The Camponotus genus is usually a lot of luck, only fast growing Camponotus are actually based on experience