non-stressful transfer

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

loupgaroupgris

Re: non-stressful transfer

Wed May 18, 2022 6:10 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:09 am
Don't stress it too much dude, sometimes it can be really frustrating if a colony doesn't succeed. I guess you could try to find a different queen species which would have much more survival rate like lasius. Also i would suggest that if you ever get some workers, try giving them more protein than sugar so the population grows faster
Yeah, I know. Its still disappointing but I will try to find some more queens.

loupgaroupgris

Re: Dont give up

Wed May 18, 2022 6:11 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:27 pm
Antloverhuman wrote:
Don't stress it too much dude, sometimes it can be really frustrating if a colony doesn't succeed. I guess you could try to find a different queen species which would have much more survival rate like lasius. Also i would suggest that if you ever get some workers, try giving them more protein than sugar so the population grows faster
The Camponotus genus is usually a lot of luck, only fast growing Camponotus are actually based on experience
They do seem hardy. If you guys or just anyone in general have any more tips, feel free to share. I will see if I can't find a queen or two in the coming days. Its going to rain so we might have some flyers around.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed May 18, 2022 6:15 pm

loupgaroupgris wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:11 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
The Camponotus genus is usually a lot of luck, only fast growing Camponotus are actually based on experience
They do seem hardy. If you guys or just anyone in general have any more tips, feel free to share. I will see if I can't find a queen or two in the coming days. Its going to rain so we might have some flyers around.
Don’t be discouraged when queens die, also don’t be discouraged when small colonies loose most of their workers, as this is fairly common
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

loupgaroupgris

Mon May 23, 2022 2:57 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
Hey quick update I just found either a Camponotus pennsylvanicus Queen or a novaeboracensis but I'm pretty sure its a Pennsy. My only worry is that she still as her two wings on. I know those don't mean anything but its still worrying me a bit.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon May 23, 2022 3:13 pm

loupgaroupgris wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:57 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
Hey quick update I just found either a Camponotus pennsylvanicus Queen or a novaeboracensis but I'm pretty sure its a Pennsy. My only worry is that she still as her two wings on. I know those don't mean anything but its still worrying me a bit.
I have a pyramid ant queen with wings(Found right after dark they fly in night in my area), and she has eggs, and coming up on larvae. Aaron(Formiculture guy may not know him) Camponotus and Colobopsis queens have had wings, and she’d one or two after getting workers.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…