I caught a camponotus sansabeanus queen!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

LaniLyne0106

Re: I caught a camponotus sansabeanus queen!

Mon May 02, 2022 11:32 am

Queen update

I am back! Apologies for the very late update ;)
Queens #2, #3, and #4 are doing well. All have a nice pile of eggs around 6 to 7 each. Notably they have been spreading their brood piles out as in, placing each of the eggs separate from each other a small distance apart. They are all showing this behavior so I’m assuming it’s normal?
➪ Ant Colonies
• Pogonomyrmex occidentalis colony
• 3 Camponotus Sansabeanus colonies
• Camponotus Vicinus
• 1 Formica Fusca
• 5 Liometopum apiculatum
• Pogonomyrmex Pima
• Pogonomyrmex Barbatus
• pheidole queen

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon May 02, 2022 1:28 pm

LaniLyne0106 wrote:
Queen update

Queens #2, #3, and #4 are doing well. All have a nice pile of eggs around 6 to 7 each. Notably they have been spreading their brood piles out as in, placing each of the eggs separate from each other a small distance apart. They are all showing this behavior so I’m assuming it’s normal?
Not 100% sure, but my Dorymyrmex queen does that but with batches of eggs; And don’t get me wrong, she cares for all of them
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SavANT

Mon May 02, 2022 2:42 pm

LaniLyne0106 wrote:
Queen update

Well, that's under probability
Keeper of;
Camponotus pennsylvanicus (4)
Camponotus consobrinus(1)

LaniLyne0106

Mon May 02, 2022 6:11 pm

I’m sure it’s nothing I should be worrying about. I will try to get some pics of the queens next week so you guys can see their progress :D
➪ Ant Colonies
• Camponotus Vicinus
• 1 Formica Fusca
• Pogonomyrmex Pima
• Pogonomyrmex Barbatus
• pheidole queen

LaniLyne0106

Sat May 14, 2022 10:01 pm

And I’m back! With another queen update
Had another trip out of state so was gone for two weeks, apologies, but I have some pictures of the queens!
Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7wUkdj5DQnv2tQ5i9
Nothing really new going on with the queens however if you look at one of the photos in queen #2’s tube there is mold growing on the water side of the cotton ball in the tube is this going to be a problem? Should I change it or wait a while longer?
➪ Ant Colonies
• Camponotus Vicinus
• 1 Formica Fusca
• Pogonomyrmex Pima
• Pogonomyrmex Barbatus
• pheidole queen

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat May 14, 2022 10:46 pm

LaniLyne0106 wrote:
Had another trip out of state so was gone for two weeks, apologies, but I have some pictures of the queens!
Nothing really new going on with the queens however if you look at one of the photos in queen #2’s tube there is mold growing on the water side of the cotton ball in the tube is this going to be a problem? Should I change it or wait a while longer?
I would not disturb her. This happens to all my colonies(And a lot of queens), and it is usually fine. If you want to be safe, you can wet the end cotten whenever you check on them, but I wouldn’t advise this as this makes the humidity a bit high. Another way to be safe is to look at the part of the Cotten exposed to the water,(Basically if you look at tube from back) and see if there is pink. I have only had the pink there once, and if you check weekly, you should be able to catch water problems before they happen. Wait until you can see mold from the top view,(covering at least half of Cotten) as by then you should have workers(Or males)

LaniLyne0106

Sun May 15, 2022 9:55 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
LaniLyne0106 wrote:
I would not disturb her. This happens to all my colonies(And a lot of queens), and it is usually fine. If you want to be safe, you can wet the end cotten whenever you check on them, but I wouldn’t advise this as this makes the humidity a bit high. Another way to be safe is to look at the part of the Cotten exposed to the water,(Basically if you look at tube from back) and see if there is pink. I have only had the pink there once, and if you check weekly, you should be able to catch water problems before they happen. Wait until you can see mold from the top view,(covering at least half of Cotten) as by then you should have workers(Or males)
Thank you. I will keep an eye on it, I didn’t see pink last time I checked so it should be fine for a little while.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun May 15, 2022 11:54 am

LaniLyne0106 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:55 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
LaniLyne0106 wrote:
Thank you. I will keep an eye on it, I didn’t see pink last time I checked so it should be fine for a little while.
My ants were fine with the pink. I had to force them to move, and these ants move on their own without light usually. It wasn’t needed on my part, but I wanted to be safe.

LaniLyne0106

Sun May 22, 2022 11:56 pm

Looks like this is a Sunday queen update :lol:

All queens are continuing to do well with no other signs of molding since there last check. Their water in the tubes is getting significantly low though. so I will probably have to hook them up to new ones soon so they can move in on their own time.
➪ Ant Colonies
• Camponotus Vicinus
• 1 Formica Fusca
• Pogonomyrmex Pima
• Pogonomyrmex Barbatus
• pheidole queen

LaniLyne0106

Sat May 28, 2022 6:59 pm

Saturday Queen update
The water reservoirs have declined a fair amount since the last check so i will be attaching them to portals so they can move into the new tubes at their own pace. Any ideas why the water runs out so quickly or is this the normal time when they run out? For clarity I would like to mention that they are not bone dry just a little bellow half when held horizontally The reason I consider them low is that they are only covering half the cotton in a test tube meaning it could be difficult for the queens to get their water.
Queen #2’s brood looks smaller then #3’s and #4’s and it looks like some eggs are missing :? :https://photos.app.goo.gl/PnLzKCHSkLqNf8GA6
Queen#3’s brood pile, has two larva already!! :D super hyped now :https://photos.app.goo.gl/WMYFX6uUpY3aX5Yy5
Queen #4’s brood pile is huge, has about 9 to 11 small eggs I counted, I tried my best the test tube is basically frosted :https://photos.app.goo.gl/ACFz32SPXXhyA7ca8
I only have two portals at the moment so i will be moving #2 and #3 in first and i put a small piece of mealworm in each cause why not ;). Ps photos of each queen listed after there sections.
➪ Ant Colonies
• Camponotus Vicinus
• 1 Formica Fusca
• Pogonomyrmex Pima
• Pogonomyrmex Barbatus
• pheidole queen