Questions about my small Camponotus novaeboracensis colony.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

User avatar
antperson24
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:01 pm
Location: North East Iowa

Re: Questions about my small Camponotus novaeboracensis colony.

Post: # 95504Post antperson24
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:12 pm

My colony is digging in the sand of their out world, and they are in need of more space soon. Would I be able to put them in an ant small ant tower with sand in it?
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper
Posts: 2402
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:41 am
Location: United States, Florida

Re: Questions about my small Camponotus novaeboracensis colony.

Post: # 95509Post SolenopsisKeeper
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:02 pm

antperson24 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:12 pm
My colony is digging in the sand of their out world, and they are in need of more space soon. Would I be able to put them in an ant small ant tower with sand in it?
I would try a course sand because Camponotus usually did through wood.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

User avatar
antperson24
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:01 pm
Location: North East Iowa

Re: Questions about my small Camponotus novaeboracensis colony.

Post: # 95511Post antperson24
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:40 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:02 pm
antperson24 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:12 pm
My colony is digging in the sand of their out world, and they are in need of more space soon. Would I be able to put them in an ant small ant tower with sand in it?
I would try a course sand because Camponotus usually did through wood.
Ok, also I am not interested in spending a lot of money on the all you need Camponotus hybrid nest pack without knowing something about it. Would you suggest using the ant tower, or is it worth spending a lot of money on the other nest?
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper
Posts: 2402
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:41 am
Location: United States, Florida

Re: Questions about my small Camponotus novaeboracensis colony.

Post: # 95521Post SolenopsisKeeper
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:18 pm

antperson24 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:40 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:02 pm
antperson24 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:12 pm
My colony is digging in the sand of their out world, and they are in need of more space soon. Would I be able to put them in an ant small ant tower with sand in it?
I would try a course sand because Camponotus usually did through wood.
Ok, also I am not interested in spending a lot of money on the all you need Camponotus hybrid nest pack without knowing something about it. Would you suggest using the ant tower, or is it worth spending a lot of money on the other nest?
Sorry AntsCanada company, but 3d printed nest aren’t worth a hoot. They rot and mold doesn’t come out of them. I would never recommend a 3d printed nest for Camponotus as they are messy. If you are interested in a nice wood setup, check out Foranto wood nest and they can be bought from a CA retailer through Canada ant colony.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

User avatar
antperson24
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:01 pm
Location: North East Iowa

Re: Questions about my small Camponotus novaeboracensis colony.

Post: # 95554Post antperson24
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:07 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:18 pm
antperson24 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:40 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:02 pm


I would try a course sand because Camponotus usually did through wood.
Ok, also I am not interested in spending a lot of money on the all you need Camponotus hybrid nest pack without knowing something about it. Would you suggest using the ant tower, or is it worth spending a lot of money on the other nest?
Sorry AntsCanada company, but 3d printed nest aren’t worth a hoot. They rot and mold doesn’t come out of them. I would never recommend a 3d printed nest for Camponotus as they are messy. If you are interested in a nice wood setup, check out Foranto wood nest and they can be bought from a CA retailer through Canada ant colony.
Thanks, that helps a lot! I was not sure about the nest because I had seen mixed reviews on YouTube.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

User avatar
antperson24
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:01 pm
Location: North East Iowa

Re: Questions about my small Camponotus novaeboracensis colony.

Post: # 95558Post antperson24
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:02 pm

I’m wondering if the THA xxl hearth would work for my colony. The reason I was wondering this is because the foraging area is directly connected to the nest, I know Camponotus likes to travel long distances to get food, but do they need that? If so would it work to just block of the foraging area that comes with it and connect my own larger out world to it?
Thanks!
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper
Posts: 2402
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:41 am
Location: United States, Florida

Re: Questions about my small Camponotus novaeboracensis colony.

Post: # 95631Post SolenopsisKeeper
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:29 am

antperson24 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:02 pm
I’m wondering if the THA xxl hearth would work for my colony. The reason I was wondering this is because the foraging area is directly connected to the nest, I know Camponotus likes to travel long distances to get food, but do they need that? If so would it work to just block of the foraging area that comes with it and connect my own larger out world to it?
Thanks!
You could connect both, using one for nectar and one for protein. If you do, use the one further away for protein so they are discouraged to bring food to the nest(Fruit flies are okay to bring inside)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

User avatar
antperson24
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:01 pm
Location: North East Iowa

Re: Questions about my small Camponotus novaeboracensis colony.

Post: # 98045Post antperson24
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:17 am

Probably no one cares anymore, but this colony is doing pretty well! They've got lots of brood, and around 50 workers. Also they are now living in this nest:https://tarheelants.com/collections/type-iii-formicaria/products/fallen-fortress-formicarium
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

User avatar
AntsAntsAnts
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:10 am
Location: Australia

Re: Questions about my small Camponotus novaeboracensis colony.

Post: # 98067Post AntsAntsAnts
Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:03 am

antperson24 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:17 am
Probably no one cares anymore, but this colony is doing pretty well! They've got lots of brood, and around 50 workers. Also they are now living in this nest:https://tarheelants.com/collections/type-iii-formicaria/products/fallen-fortress-formicarium
nice!
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests