Found Queens When Hibernating?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Nathant

Found Queens When Hibernating?

Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:33 pm

Every day, I lift all of the 50 rocks in my yard to see what bugs there are. Today it was 40 degrees out. I found Devils Coach Horses, Woodlice, worms, slugs, but somehow, I managed to find 2 lone Lasius claviger dealate queens. I found this super strange because I lift the same rocks every day and yet found these girls after going 60 days without finding anything, and flipping the same rocks. Their flights had passed, too. They were behaving strange as well. I only kept one, but They seemed like they were very slow, and curled up into a ball often. Did I maybe find them when they were hibernating? Were they dying from the cold? Do Lasius claviger often change nest area? Really baffled that I found them 10 minutes apart, too. :?

Location caught: Northeastern Massachusetts
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

Batspiderfish

Re: Found Queens When Hibernating?

Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:11 pm

Lasius claviger is a social parasite that often hibernates before searching for a host colony in the spring.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Nathant

Re: Found Queens When Hibernating?

Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:42 am

Batspiderfish wrote:Lasius claviger is a social parasite that often hibernates before searching for a host colony in the spring.
Oh, okay. I didn't know they hibernated before they found a host colony. I thought they would have found one shortly after flying. I have learned so much already on this forum. :) Thanks!!
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants