Polyrhachis queen supple-mentary diet plans???

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAntsAnts

Polyrhachis queen supple-mentary diet plans???

Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:55 am

My three queen (which by the way now has 10 queens because I put more in) polyrhachis colony needs a protein source and my eggs all ran out. Does peanut butter work? I have honey as a sugar source but can peanut butter be used as a protein source? Then I can have it readily available.
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Polyrhachis queen ***** diet plans???

Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:14 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
My three queen (which by the way now has 10 queens because I put more in) polyrhachis colony needs a protein source and my eggs all ran out. Does peanut butter work? I have honey as a sugar source but can peanut butter be used as a protein source? Then I can have it readily available.
I would assume so, as it is nontoxic, but I have never tried it. You could try table meat, but I am not sure if they would like it. Also, it might be good to supply a sugar source once and a while for queens.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:10 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
I would assume so, as it is nontoxic, but I have never tried it. You could try table meat, but I am not sure if they would like it. Also, it might be good to supply a sugar source once and a while for queens.
I have a giant sugar source with jelly + honey so I am not worried about that :)
keeping:

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:26 pm

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
I have a giant sugar source with jelly + honey so I am not worried about that :)
I wish my trap jaw ants liked Sweets… it would make the hassle of getting insects so much less of a hassle Becuase I wouldn’t have to get their favorite type of insect and alternate between foods… Odontomachus is a pain sometimes. It is worth it thouh

AntsAntsAnts

Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:11 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

I wish my trap jaw ants liked Sweets… it would make the hassle of getting insects so much less of a hassle Becuase I wouldn’t have to get their favorite type of insect and alternate between foods… Odontomachus is a pain sometimes. It is worth it thouh

you have the exact problem as with my sugar ant colony. If I don't give them what they want, the queen legit stops laying eggs and the workers will not do anything. So stubborn... HATE. They remind me of my friend's previous sugar ant queen who had two workers but then completely stopped laying eggs and died.
keeping:

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:01 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:

you have the exact problem as with my sugar ant colony. If I don't give them what they want, the queen legit stops laying eggs and the workers will not do anything. So stubborn... HATE. They remind me of my friend's previous sugar ant queen who had two workers but then completely stopped laying eggs and died.
We spoil our ants until they lay eggs :lol:

AntsAntsAnts

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:39 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

and after they lay eggs. but before they lay eggs, I feel like giving them the whole honey container until they get eggs. Btw, they laid ONE egg. Seriously? THey are repeating the stupid strategy all over again! :twisted:
keeping:

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:11 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:

and after they lay eggs. but before they lay eggs, I feel like giving them the whole honey container until they get eggs. Btw, they laid ONE egg. Seriously? THey are repeating the stupid strategy all over again! :twisted:
The one egg happened by chance to become a reproductive lol. Also, I have an answer for your question. During nuptial flights, many queens usually mate within 24 hours. Some do not and their food store is partially depleted and will eat their eggs and usually wil not successfully found colonies. Even if they are semiclasutral, I think they still use their muscle partially to feed themself. I would try to split them up…. But, it may be some strat, this is all just a guess.(Note: Nuptial flight info is true)

AntsAntsAnts

Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:20 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:11 am
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

The one egg happened by chance to become a reproductive lol. Also, I have an answer for your question. During nuptial flights, many queens usually mate within 24 hours. Some do not and their food store is partially depleted and will eat their eggs and usually wil not successfully found colonies. Even if they are semiclasutral, I think they still use their muscle partially to feed themself. I would try to split them up…. But, it may be some strat, this is all just a guess.(Note: Nuptial flight info is true)
I actually think the main colony is sending out queens bc I am going to the park and there are always queens. Also I kind of gave them a fast and they are still fat as ever
keeping: