Broke the Golden rule and I need help.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsAntsAnts

Re: Broke the Golden rule and I need help.

Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:12 am

:roll: It's the world of not catching queens yourself.
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:05 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Well, some people are at school/work and never catch an opportunity to go catch a queen. Not only that, but some people don’t have luck catching queens… also, some people cannot find the local species they need/want. For example, if I want C. discolor,(Flordia) and I cannot find them, it is likely GAN farmers can’t either. I personally have nothing against shipping ants, as even AC did recieve ants in the mail. One of his Asian mauruder ant colonies I think. If ants are shipping properly and it stable conditions, why not? Just the risks of “properly”
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:58 am

Charlesrey wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:43 pm
So long story short I broke the golden rule and ordered an ant queen online. It was to be my first ever attempt, However there was a mistake on there end and they ended up sending a Camponotus Sansabeanus and a Camponotus fragila instead of the Camponotus discolor I ordered. The good thing is the species are still native to my area. But they arrived with water droplets and brood scattered and wet (no workers or cocoons). Is there anything I can do to save these queens or are they done for. Also any advice would be appreciated since I was expecting and researched a completely different ant.
Seems like everyone has already added his / her advice. I would say best you could do is to try and get ride of some of the water droplets. Mainly by using tweezers and pieces of toiletpaper or paper towels to collect some of the droplets.
For the scattered eggs, the queen is probably stressed due to the shipping and needs rest. Place her in the dark and don't disturb her at all for at least 3 days. That should help her to settle. After that offer the queens a droplet of honey. ;)

I read you put the testtubes in your drawer with a heating pad. I hope you didn't put the heating pad directly underneath the testtubes. It might do more harm than help. However if you place it inside of the drawer nearby the testtubes, then it should be alright. I saw the Camponotus sansabeanus can have a maximum of 28°C inside of their nest.

Btw I broke the golder rule twice too. First by accident as the antnest was shipped with a free queen and second when I needed a new queen after the first queen had died. ^^'
I'm not proud of it but I learned a lot from this. Mostly to just try and find a GAN / Ant farmer nearby. In my case I had to drive halfway to Brussel.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:19 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:58 am
Charlesrey wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:43 pm
So long story short I broke the golden rule and ordered an ant queen online. It was to be my first ever attempt, However there was a mistake on there end and they ended up sending a Camponotus Sansabeanus and a Camponotus fragila instead of the Camponotus discolor I ordered. The good thing is the species are still native to my area. But they arrived with water droplets and brood scattered and wet (no workers or cocoons). Is there anything I can do to save these queens or are they done for. Also any advice would be appreciated since I was expecting and researched a completely different ant.
Seems like everyone has already added his / her advice. I would say best you could do is to try and get ride of some of the water droplets. Mainly by using tweezers and pieces of toiletpaper or paper towels to collect some of the droplets.
For the scattered eggs, the queen is probably stressed due to the shipping and needs rest. Place her in the dark and don't disturb her at all for at least 3 days. That should help her to settle. After that offer the queens a droplet of honey. ;)

I read you put the testtubes in your drawer with a heating pad. I hope you didn't put the heating pad directly underneath the testtubes. It might do more harm than help. However if you place it inside of the drawer nearby the testtubes, then it should be alright. I saw the Camponotus sansabeanus can have a maximum of 28°C inside of their nest.

Btw I broke the golder rule twice too. First by accident as the antnest was shipped with a free queen and second when I needed a new queen after the first queen had died. ^^'
I'm not proud of it but I learned a lot from this. Mostly to just try and find a GAN / Ant farmer nearby. In my case I had to drive halfway to Brussel.
I emailed so many in my state, and no one answered :(
No one actually replies in my experience

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:29 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
I would tell the GAN Project so they can ask if they are still selling their ants.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

AntsAntsAnts

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:41 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Well, some people are at school/work and never catch an opportunity to go catch a queen. Not only that, but some people don’t have luck catching queens… also, some people cannot find the local species they need/want. For example, if I want C. discolor,(Flordia) and I cannot find them, it is likely GAN farmers can’t either. I personally have nothing against shipping ants, as even AC did recieve ants in the mail. One of his Asian mauruder ant colonies I think. If ants are shipping properly and it stable conditions, why not? Just the risks of “properly”
Oh when I once went to school I found... 20 formica queens but I was too lazy to catch them. I won't mention the 5 tetramonium queens but you know what I mean. Queen ants are legit EVERYWHERE including my room. They are too addicted to the lights.
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:12 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:41 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Oh when I once went to school I found... 20 formica queens but I was too lazy to catch them. I won't mention the 5 tetramonium queens but you know what I mean. Queen ants are legit EVERYWHERE including my room. They are too addicted to the lights.
Queens need withdraw to light lol

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:14 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:29 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
I would tell the GAN Project so they can ask if they are still selling their ants.
The one did reply was not selling them, and wanted you to contact for availability. At least they replied. I literally emailed every one in flordia who was selling Camponotus Floridanus and Colobopsis impressa. That’s why I ended up ordering Camponotus Floridanus from my state online.

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:53 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
The one did reply was not selling them, and wanted you to contact for availability. At least they replied. I literally emailed every one in flordia who was selling Camponotus Floridanus and Colobopsis impressa. That’s why I ended up ordering Camponotus Floridanus from my state online.
Did they actually offer delivery or did they say, you an order online but have to come and pick them up? At the ant store in Berlin it is like that since they care about ants a lot. :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:36 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:53 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Did they actually offer delivery or did they say, you an order online but have to come and pick them up? At the ant store in Berlin it is like that since they care about ants a lot. :)
No they shipped. Would have picked up if I could. I also saved them from some reptiles as they were being sold as feeder insects!! Reptiles do need to eat though….