1/2 Niantics dead, help?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Dilduo

1/2 Niantics dead, help?

Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:31 pm

Hello I am pretty new to any keeping

I purchased a Queen Camponotus maculatus yesterday
She came with a test tube set up connected to a tiny outworld from a reputable store here in Singapore

She has 2 Niantics
3 eggs (one that looks like its almost ready to hatch)

They had been feeding them crushed super worms and Honey every other day.

they were all doing fine yesterday, I got them home and placed them in a cabinet in the kitchen as we don't have airconditioning in that room so they could be at room temp. Figured they would like a dark quiet place.

I pulled them out today to give them a drop of honey and One Niantic is kinda on its back twitching by the queen, the other is walking around normally looking for food and found the honey I gave her.

Just wondering how bad this is for 1 of them to die so soon and wondering how it could have died if anyone has suggestions.

Cheers

Dilduo

Re: 1/2 Niantics dead, help?

Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:32 pm

Also I am curious how often the queen should be laying new eggs?

When I compare her to other starter colonies on youtube she seems like she has hardly any eggs

SYUTEO

Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:38 pm

She came with only three eggs? Did you ask the seller why?

Dilduo

Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:42 pm

No I didn't think
it was strange at the time

SYUTEO

Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:41 am

Lack of feeding and stress may have caused the queen to not lay any more eggs and the worker's death may have been due to worker's age.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:20 am

Dilduo wrote:

She came with a test tube set up connected to a tiny outworld from a reputable store here in Singapore

She has 2 Niantics

they were all doing fine yesterday, I got them home and placed them in a cabinet in the kitchen as we don't have airconditioning in that room so they could be at room temp. Figured they would like a dark quiet place.

I pulled them out today to give them a drop of honey and One Niantic is kinda on its back twitching by the queen, the other is walking around normally looking for food and found the honey I gave her.

Just wondering how bad this is for 1 of them to die so soon and wondering how it could have died if anyone has suggestions.

Cheers
I would ask the seller why she only has 2 nantics, and why she only had 3 eggs. My Camponotus came with 6 nantics, one died when they had larvae. Also, you can brood boost to try to help your colony.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:34 am

Dilduo wrote:

She has 2 Niantics

Cheers
I looked them up and there is luckily a page with some info.
https://www.antstore.net/shop/de/Ameisen/Ameisen-aus-Asien/Camponotus-maculatus.html
As a quick summary, they are monogyn and like their nest around 24-28°C.
During June & July they will have their diapause, meaning they will slow down their growth.
They like honey, sugarwater and insects. For example flies. I would try mealworms or cockroaches.

For your situation I would recommend to just keep her in the dark and undisturbed. Check every 3rd day and maybe put in food every second time you check. For example, check and feed them on monday, check and remove the food on thursday. Repeat every week.
As a guess I would say the queen and workers might have eaten some of the eggs due to stress. :/
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SYUTEO

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:47 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:34 am
Dilduo wrote:

She has 2 Niantics

Cheers
I looked them up and there is luckily a page with some info.
https://www.antstore.net/shop/de/Ameisen/Ameisen-aus-Asien/Camponotus-maculatus.html
As a quick summary, they are monogyn and like their nest around 24-28°C.
During June & July they will have their diapause, meaning they will slow down their growth.
They like honey, sugarwater and insects. For example flies. I would try mealworms or cockroaches.

For your situation I would recommend to just keep her in the dark and undisturbed. Check every 3rd day and maybe put in food every second time you check. For example, check and feed them on monday, check and remove the food on thursday. Repeat every week.
As a guess I would say the queen and workers might have eaten some of the eggs due to stress. :/
It might also be possible that his is a subspecies, C. maculatus obfuscatus. And they are endemic to Singapore which may mean they don't go into diapause.