Pink stuff in my Queen ant test tube?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Mohammadmacapundag

Pink stuff in my Queen ant test tube?

Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:28 am

I need help on what I'm supposed to do because there these little pink things in the test tube should I move the queen? If so tell me how.
Currently Founding...
Carpenter Ant Queen (Camponotus Pennsylvanicus)6-9 Eggs, 2-3 larva, and 6-10 Workers

Toastant

Re: Pink stuff in my Queen ant test tube?

Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:32 am

Mohammadmacapundag wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:28 am
I need help on what I'm supposed to do because there these little pink things in the test tube should I move the queen? If so tell me how.
Is it like a bunch of pink on the cotton? If so, is the water turning pink? That's just some sort of microbe outbreak with mold or bacteria. If this is what you have, then yes, you should move the queen to another test tube setup. It happened to me once. AntsCanada actually has a video with his fire ants and pink stuff.

Or is it just little pink thingies like dots or something? I have never heard of that happening and I don't know what that is. If something seems very abnormal, or the water changes colors, then you should definitely move the queen to a new test tube setup.

Also, is the queen staying away from it and keeping the brood away? It is probably bad is she is doing that.

To move the queen, make another test tube setup. Then tape them together or connect them somehow so that she can walk through to the other side. Just make sure that if she doesn't move, then try to let a little air in if it seems airtight. If you want to try to speed up the move, then remove whatever is making her current test tube dark and make sure the other one is still dark. If she's really stubborn, then shine a weak light on her. Try to do all this as gently as possible so that she doesn't become stressed.

Hope this helps!

Mohammadmacapundag

Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:23 am

It's pink thingie dots but the queen is right next to it and she left the eggs far away from her like she doesn't care (She is fertile I saw her licking the tip of he abdomen) the pink stuff is gooey (I touched it with a pencil) .
Currently Founding...
Carpenter Ant Queen (Camponotus Pennsylvanicus)6-9 Eggs, 2-3 larva, and 6-10 Workers

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:26 am

Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:23 am
It's pink thingie dots but the queen is right next to it and she left the eggs far away from her like she doesn't care (She is fertile I saw her licking the tip of he abdomen) the pink stuff is gooey (I touched it with a pencil) .
I have a queen who doesn’t care about mold on half Cotten, but it isn’t a problem until you cannot see the Cotten ball.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Mohammadmacapundag

Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:39 am

So wat do I do about it.
Currently Founding...

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:43 am

Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:39 am
So wat do I do about it.
Once the water changes in appearances, dump the queen into a new tube. If the Cotten gets completly covered, dump her into a new tube. Otherwise, let her chill for a few days.

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:49 am

I would assume that it is the start of some kind of bacteria. I recommend changing the testtube already. The question if your queen is fertile or not will only be answered once she got workers.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Mohammadmacapundag

Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:58 pm

My failure of getting rid of the pink thing led to my Queen dying. (RIP Anthony)
Currently Founding...

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:15 pm

Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:58 pm
My failure of getting rid of the pink thing led to my Queen dying. (RIP Anthony)
This queen?! Or the one before?!

Mohammadmacapundag

Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:45 pm

The one before.
Currently Founding...