The Phedole Massacre

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Mohammadmacapundag

Re: The Phedole Massacre

Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:39 pm

Imagine the insects i can kill with this fire ant queen (my phedole colony escaped).
Currently Founding...
Carpenter Ant Queen (Camponotus Pennsylvanicus)6-9 Eggs, 2-3 larva, and 6-10 Workers

Mohammadmacapundag

Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:36 pm

Forgive me for my horrible treatment of my colony but I was insane and mad back then but now i'm starting over with these 2 fire ant queens. I will feed them live insects when they have tons on workers and again (insects don't have feelings or pain recaptors.).
Currently Founding...
Carpenter Ant Queen (Camponotus Pennsylvanicus)6-9 Eggs, 2-3 larva, and 6-10 Workers

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:25 pm

Mohammadmacapundag wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:36 pm
Forgive me for my horrible treatment of my colony but I was insane and mad back then but now i'm starting over with these 2 fire ant queens. I will feed them live insects when they have tons on workers and again (insects don't have feelings or pain recaptors.).
At least partially kill them, as workers can get injured btw and Grasshoppers could probably take a few hundred workers with it so make sure to partially kill like AC. Also, NEVER TRY MERGING FIRE ANTS IN TUBES OR EVER UNLESS U RISKS IT ALL. I am experimenting with this so… queens fight to teh death, I caught an 8 queen colony, and next day I found a pair of wings and 7 queens dead along with one alate. I think it my have been the workers.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:36 pm

Most fire ants are monogynous. But seriously, don't feed live insects. Just a waste of energy for the ants.
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:01 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Most fire ants are monogynous. But seriously, don't feed live insects. Just a waste of energy for the ants.
No? Were talking about S. invicta here I use to have a wild caught colony that had 8 queens. The 7 died Becuase they fought. In the wild the queens would run to another chamber. No chambers on a test tube.

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:15 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Yes don’t feed insects but they are polygynos(Usually). They can uncommonly have colonies of millions with one queen, and Antcanada didn’t have this spieces. He had tropical fire ants, which is also living where I live. In captivity, fire ants can be polygynos, but it requires a formicarium. And even if they aren’t, several people have tried to “war” Invicta for views, but it never works out Becuase they end up merging colonies.

In their native habitat, they have one queen, but in places they invade, they have been found to have many queens.

Mohammadmacapundag

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:17 pm

The only live insects I will feed to the ants is Mealworms (once they have like 15 workers). I'm not planning to feed them live biog insects yet until they have at least a 1000 workers.
Currently Founding...

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:14 pm

Mohammadmacapundag wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:17 pm
The only live insects I will feed to the ants is Mealworms (once they have like 15 workers). I'm not planning to feed them live biog insects yet until they have at least a 1000 workers.
Half kill mealworm though…
Live prey… dangerous with smal colonies…

Antloverhuman

Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:25 pm

You should half kill any insects you feed your ants. Because even it they cant attack the ants, ants will get stressed trying to kill a large prey. It will also be unnecessary waste of energy. Once they have a thousand workers you can give them live mealworms if you want. But till now just feed them half or full dead insects
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

Mohammadmacapundag

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:28 pm

Ok. I have an ant queen (Solenopsis Invicta) with tons of eggs When will they mature to workers there about like 18 days old now.
Currently Founding...