Camponotus albosparsus strange behavior

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

DylanChen

Camponotus albosparsus strange behavior

Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:54 am

Hi,
I have a young Camponotus albosparsus colony. It has a queen and 4 workers. I fed them 1 baby red runner roach, size about 5mm and killed.

The ants were very exited and brought the roach inside the test tube from the outworld, the next day the roach was outside the test tube.

I was just about to clean the left over, the ant brought the roach back in, the next day it was out again.

These happened for 3 days in a row.

Is the behavior normal?
Are they hungry? Should i feed them more?
Note: we fed them honey n jelly, they barely touch the jelly

Antloverhuman

Re: Camponotus albosparsus strange behavior

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:41 am

You could try feeding them variety of food. I think they just wanna keep the roach and not let the big monke take it. You can remove the roach but should give them a new one if they have alot of larvae or their abdomen isnt looking fat
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:45 am

DylanChen wrote:
Hi,
I have a young Camponotus albosparsus colony. It has a queen and 4 workers. I fed them 1 baby red runner roach, size about 5mm and killed.

The ants were very exited and brought the roach inside the test tube from the outworld, the next day the roach was outside the test tube.

I was just about to clean the left over, the ant brought the roach back in, the next day it was out again.

Is the behavior normal?
My ants do these too much. I give them a variety of foods, and they carry mealworms heads around like peoples I phone. Even after they have beaten most of it, they put their larvae in it.(To eats whatever they can I guess). When I give them jelly, they eat it, or I have another ant species (not Camponotus) that will carry protein jelly pieces.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

DylanChen

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:56 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:41 am
You could try feeding them variety of food. I think they just wanna keep the roach and not let the big monke take it. You can remove the roach but should give them a new one if they have alot of larvae or their abdomen isnt looking fat

Thank you, all their abdomen look swollen, esp. the repletes.

DylanChen

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:58 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:45 am
DylanChen wrote:
Hi,

Is the behavior normal?
My ants do these too much. I give them a variety of foods, and they carry mealworms heads around like peoples I phone. Even after they have beaten most of it, they put their larvae in it.(To eats whatever they can I guess). When I give them jelly, they eat it, or I have another ant species (not Camponotus) that will carry protein jelly pieces.
Glad that my ants are not broken 😂

SYUTEO

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:25 am

It may just be because they think they haven't eaten all of the roach and decided to take back in their nest or they are just playing around with their food.

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:15 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:25 am
It may just be because they think they haven't eaten all of the roach and decided to take back in their nest or they are just playing around with their food.
There playing sports with a roach corpse :lol:
When you accidentally reply to yourself…