Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Strange Polyrhachis ant strategy?

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:07 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:38 am
They take turns caring for da eggs.
Motherly instinct. I recommend seperating them. Next try to observe which of them is laying eggs and put the eggs and larvae into that queens testtube.

Also only check 2 times a week to make sure they are not disturbed too often.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

AntsAntsAnts

Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:58 am

Here's the problem with seperating them: i might stress them out too much and also they are at the back of the test tube and they are all crowding around the eggs. Also, they have honey so i don't really see much of a problem of them together. Fun fact: they now have 6 eggs :x
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

Antloverhuman

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:02 am

They could be taking turns laying eggs. One queen lays one egg every other day which makes the population grow slowly. Are there any sings of fight between the queens? They might be fighting each other and dont like being together and thats why they aren't laying eggs. This one trick that i haven't tried but i think would work is to attach another test tube setup the their current one. If their is one which is infertile might get rejected and try to find new home and live in the new test tube. But make sure to attach them using a T-connector. Attached test tubes to opposite ends and block the third hole with cotton. This will make sure that their is enough ventilation. Good luck
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

AntsAntsAnts

Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:59 pm

They are still sticking together... and they are not fighting. They are all taking care of the eggs together. None were kicked out and it does seem that they each take turns getting the honey. Perhaps they are all laying eggs one queen at a time. Maybe. Also, they put the eggs in a clump so I can't count them anymore.
keeping:

Antloverhuman

Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:51 pm

Oh so it doesn't seem like a problem. They might be stressed because of you checking them every day but i would suggest just leave them. You will be having a colony soon but just be patient ;)
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

AntsAntsAnts

Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:35 am

Thank you all for your assistance. ;)
keeping:

terrellgriffin

Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:38 am

Well, that seems like a strange strategy to me as well. I mean, if you look at any specie in the world, they would love to interact with the opposite sex and produce heirs to their thrones. Well, I am laughing or smiling a bit while I write this but I think there is a major concern on your hands that you bring forward. At first, I think there is a chance that they want to shift their habitat or living space. If you are keeping them in test tubes, then there is nothing wrong but sometimes, a good habitat becomes a key factor for many of them.
Consider it this way that lions do not live well in cages but when you make a custom garden or forest alongside their cage, the mood and atmosphere builds up ideally for them. Thus, they can easily mingle with their other halves in a great environment and feel like it is their own. I have read about ants a lot recently and found out that their behavior varies in the spaces they live in. Since their habitat or ‘forest’ is the colonies they live in, there is ample chance they might be missing that stuff in the test tube.
Or it can be as you say that they want to be that kid in the house that troubles others so their words get heard and they find a better place to express their needs and requirements. In addition, there is little you can do for them. But below here, I am quoting an extract from an article regarding reproduction of the same ant type that you are mentioning.
“The female queen ant sexually reproduces with fertile male ants of the same species. After the male and the queen are done mating the male ant will typically die, and the queen will fly to a new location where she will shed her wings and get ready to populate a new colony.”
Maybe it’s time that you give them that new colony or space!

AntsAntsAnts

Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:00 am

terrellgriffin wrote:
Well, that seems like a strange strategy to me as well. I mean, if you look at any specie in the world, they would love to interact with the opposite sex and produce heirs to their thrones. Well, I am laughing or smiling a bit while I write this but I think there is a major concern on your hands that you bring forward. At first, I think there is a chance that they want to shift their habitat or living space. If you are keeping them in test tubes, then there is nothing wrong but sometimes, a good habitat becomes a key factor for many of them.
Consider it this way that lions do not live well in cages but when you make a custom garden or forest alongside their cage, the mood and atmosphere builds up ideally for them. Thus, they can easily mingle with their other halves in a great environment and feel like it is their own. I have read about ants a lot recently and found out that their behavior varies in the spaces they live in. Since their habitat or ‘forest’ is the colonies they live in, there is ample chance they might be missing that stuff in the test tube.
Or it can be as you say that they want to be that kid in the house that troubles others so their words get heard and they find a better place to express their needs and requirements. In addition, there is little you can do for them. But below here, I am quoting an extract from an article regarding reproduction of the same ant type that you are mentioning.
“The female queen ant sexually reproduces with fertile male ants of the same species. After the male and the queen are done mating the male ant will typically die, and the queen will fly to a new location where she will shed her wings and get ready to populate a new colony.”

Yes well they dumped all their eggs and now there are ten queens :|
keeping:

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:15 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
terrellgriffin wrote:

RIP EGGS
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:07 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:15 am
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
terrellgriffin wrote:

RIP EGGS
yes
keeping: