They are in the storage room now.

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Theantkid

They are in the storage room now.

Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:39 pm

I just put my ant colony in the storage room in their ant farm box and surrounded them in a t-shirt as an insulator. Will they be okay? :?:
Theantkid, Keeper of Formica subsericea/The Black Knights, Queen name, Black and Gold.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: They are in the storage room now.

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:45 am

I would say that if the temperature is the right one then yes. Also a t shirt doesn't exactly act as an insulator but more like a cushioner. If you want insulation then I can recommend Styrofoam but of course it will only take longer to cool down or heat up depending on the outside and inside temperature.

It really depends on what you want to achieve.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Theantkid

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:31 am

Thank you for the reply. :)
Theantkid, Keeper of Formica subsericea/The Black Knights, Queen name, Black and Gold.

Theantkid

Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Apparently the storage room they are in is a little over room temp during night time and cold during the day. Is this okay? :?:

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:51 am

Theantkid wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:06 pm
Apparently the storage room they are in is a little over room temp during night time and cold during the day. Is this okay? :?:
When you say room temperature during the night, do you mean 21-25°C? When you say the room is cold during the day, do you mean 5-8°C or 15-18°C?
It's very important to know how much the temperature changes. If it's too much and too extreme then they will most likely die from stress. Plus I don't know what species you put in that room since it wasn't specified. Please try to add as many important details into your posts as possible.

For example, if you talk about ants that you put in hibernation, please include the species. If you talk about temperature, include a value, be it °C or °F or °K. Even if the temperature is super precise but it gives everyone at least an estimated value. So far I can't give you a final answer since I'm missing those info.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Theantkid

Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:20 am

It gets around 20-10 Celsius this week during the day along with next week, and 11-4 Celsius during the night and next week. In the evening the storage room gets somewhere around 70-76 Fahrenheit but because I cant check the temperature at the night I can only guess it gets 11-4 Celsius during the night.

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:48 am

Hm I would put them in the fridge where it's a stable 6-8°C. Especially if the temperature changes this much. If it keeps going up until 20°C and then back down to 4-11°C every day and every night then that might stress your ants too much since they have to undo their hibernation and then redo it. which means they are using energy that they would need to hibernate.