What I do now!?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JustSebas17

What I do now!?

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:54 pm

Oh god, I dont know why I make so many mistakes with my ants!, Anyway, remember this image?
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WDDDfZCzlQIJep-BkcG8wJbW3SeelNVB

Well,everything gone wrong; So, imagine this, the same ant nest, the only ant and the queen in the foraging area, the brood and the other chamber lonely and closed.
So, the brood is in the larvae stage, the queen is very good and her brave worker refused to die like the last 2 workers.
Should I leave them there and let everything go on its way, or move them to their test tube, and probably stress them ?

AntsLuxembourg

Re: What I do now!?

Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:01 am

JustSebas17 wrote:
Oh god, I dont know why I make so many mistakes with my ants!, Anyway, remember this image?

Well,everything gone wrong; So, imagine this, the same ant nest, the only ant and the queen in the foraging area, the brood and the other chamber lonely and closed.
So, the brood is in the larvae stage, the queen is very good and her brave worker refused to die like the last 2 workers.
Should I leave them there and let everything go on its way, or move them to their test tube, and probably stress them ?
The link isn't working. :/
Put it on imgur if you want to share pictures easily.

What exactly happened? Did the other ants abandon the queen? Did they die? Is the nest in the dark and undisturbed? Why do they have a foraging area? What ant species is it? Are they semi claustral?
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

JustSebas17

Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:31 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:01 am
JustSebas17 wrote:

The link isn't working. :/
Put it on imgur if you want to share pictures easily.

What exactly happened? Did the other ants abandon the queen? Did they die? Is the nest in the dark and undisturbed? Why do they have a foraging area? What ant species is it? Are they semi claustral?
The link works for me, anyway, about 3-5 weeks ago I moved them to ant nest, the queen some brood and 7 ants,
Most died of natural reasons and only one remained that now cares for the queen and the larvae.I was very happy because in the morning they had voluntarily moved to the foraging area.And yes, the nest is in my clothes drawer mostly because of the cold, they are in complete darkness and without movements.They are Solenopsis Invicta and I guess they are semi claustral.Do not worry about the foraging area, it is covered anyway, I am sending you the photo later because I am going to school ...

AntLuvForever

Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:22 am

It’s okay.
Solonopis ants can grow very fast. But I’m not sure what they are doing in your foraging area… you can try to move them back via, light or heat. If she is really stubborn, just gently grab her (if she stings then do it with a piece of paper) and the worker and plop them into a test tube. It might be that the nest is too big so they don’t feel safe. Also, how did the 6 other workers die? Like did they die with age or what?

Hope this helps :)
Ant Colonies I Own :

(Prenolepis imparis)--Subzero

(Tetramorium immigrans)--The Concrete Angles

(Formica neogagates)--The Unyielding Legion

JustSebas17

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:54 am

AntLuvForever wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:22 am
It’s okay.
Solonopis ants can grow very fast. But I’m not sure what they are doing in your foraging area… you can try to move them back via, light or heat. If she is really stubborn, just gently grab her (if she stings then do it with a piece of paper) and the worker and plop them into a test tube. It might be that the nest is too big so they don’t feel safe. Also, how did the 6 other workers die? Like did they die with age or what?

Hope this helps :)
Yes, they died old, they were about 3 weeks old except for a very young one who died eating a piece of sausage.
The truth is that they look very comfortable, even though I can't say if it's that or not, I say they don't look scared of the vast territory.

AntLuvForever

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:13 pm

Hmmm. Then why isn’t your eggs hatching to replace the dead workers? Is it too cold or hot for proper egg development? That’s what happened to my lasius neoniger before I changed their temperature gradient…
Ant Colonies I Own :

JustSebas17

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:41 pm

AntLuvForever wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:13 pm
Hmmm. Then why isn’t your eggs hatching to replace the dead workers? Is it too cold or hot for proper egg development? That’s what happened to my lasius neoniger before I changed their temperature gradient…
Well, a few weeks ago I uploaded a post talking about my Queen didnt layed eggs, they told me to wait, and so it was and the queen continued with her routine of laying eggs Now she has some larvae and her last ant is doing his thing

AntLuvForever

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:55 pm

Oh okay. Then the best thing will be to wait. However, make sure her last ant survives. She would have burned through the last of her body fat by now and queens can't forage. Keep them warm but not hot and feed them 1-2 time a week with honey and protein.
Ant Colonies I Own :

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:01 am

JustSebas17 wrote:
The link works for me, anyway, about 3-5 weeks ago I moved them to ant nest, the queen some brood and 7 ants,
Most died of natural reasons and only one remained that now cares for the queen and the larvae.I was very happy because in the morning they had voluntarily moved to the foraging area.And yes, the nest is in my clothes drawer mostly because of the cold, they are in complete darkness and without movements.They are Solenopsis Invicta and I guess they are semi claustral.Do not worry about the foraging area, it is covered anyway, I am sending you the photo later because I am going to school ...
What I meaned with the link doesn't work is, that I cannot see what's on the picture because it requires access. It's not set to public.
Also reading through the other posts I forgot to ask what the temperature of the nest is. Your colony loves the heat and it could be that it is too cold for them. That could explain why they moved into the foraging area. Also they are claustal which means they don't need a foraging area. You should try and move her back to a testtube. Maybe create a chamber by using a slice of cork or a ring of tubing to create a chamber inside the testtube. This will give the ants the illusion of a smaller claustal chamber.

Plus you can easier clean up after your ants since they will put their garbage outside their chamber.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

JustSebas17

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:32 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:01 am
JustSebas17 wrote:
What I meaned with the link doesn't work is, that I cannot see what's on the picture because it requires access. It's not set to public.
Also reading through the other posts I forgot to ask what the temperature of the nest is. Your colony loves the heat and it could be that it is too cold for them. That could explain why they moved into the foraging area. Also they are claustal which means they don't need a foraging area. You should try and move her back to a testtube. Maybe create a chamber by using a slice of cork or a ring of tubing to create a chamber inside the testtube. This will give the ants the illusion of a smaller claustal chamber.

Plus you can easier clean up after your ants since they will put their garbage outside their chamber.
I'm not sure about changing them, I'm scared and the only test tube I have free is quite wide, just as wide as an average bottle cap, but if it really is more beneficial to change them to the tube please tell me. I'm also working on the link haha, it should be open in a few hours in as I figure out how to make the folder public