Kidnapped Queen

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Batspiderfish

Re: Kidnapped Queen

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:13 am

You always capture established queens with their workers. She might not be able to rear new ones by herself.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:39 am

You can assume a queen that has an apparent retinue of workers has already established a colony, and you should capture as much of it as possible (if your really have to). If she actually is a new queen, then she is off to a good start. If she is an old queen by herself, she dies. If she is a new queen by herself, she probably lives. Capturing her with the workers was the sure thing.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Batspiderfish

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:51 pm

I'm sorry that happened while they weren't being observed. :cry:

Were they mixed with each other when you left them?