Camponotus ants and black mold

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Grammynumnums

Camponotus ants and black mold

Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:59 pm

There is black mold in my test tube setup. I made it a double test tube setup hoping the colony would move to the other side but they haven't shown any signs of moving at all.

Are they immune to black mold? or should I try something else to get them to move?

AqdasHassaan

Re: Camponotus ants and black mold

Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:52 pm

Grammynumnums wrote:There is black mold in my test tube setup. I made it a double test tube setup hoping the colony would move to the other side but they haven't shown any signs of moving at all.

Are they immune to black mold? or should I try something else to get them to move?

place the old test tube end close to bulb or any light emitting device and the other tube covered with card board or some piece of cloth wrap around it so that it stays dark and wait. Ants prefer dark places and will soon move to the other test tube due to them exposed to light.

Batspiderfish

Re: Camponotus ants and black mold

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:00 pm

If they aren't trying to move, then the mold probably is not making them uncomfortable. The cotton in most of my older tubes is black.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.