First Colony ( Messor Barbarus )

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Drever

First Colony ( Messor Barbarus )

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:25 pm

Hello all!

I am new here and to ant keeping and need some help with my new colony of Messor Barbarus.

Her first workers have arrived last week! I have chia seeds for them but being close to when they need to hibernate should I offer protein or will they get what they needs just from seeds?

They are in a test tube setup and I have around 6 workers at the moment. After hibernation and the arrival of more workers I will attach an outworld for them however how many workers would be a good number?

I am not planning on moving them from the test tube until either it needs changed or they have healthy numbers and require more space.

Thanks for your time! :D

AM1C39

Re: First Colony ( Messor Barbarus )

Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:49 am

You should probably feed them now and whene they get about 20 workers then you can give them an outworld.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

Drever

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:49 pm

AM1C39 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:49 am
You should probably feed them now and whene they get about 20 workers then you can give them an outworld.
Perfect thanks for the info!

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:54 am

Hey,

I keep them myself. First for the hibernation, even if they hibernate at 16°C they will most likely still process the seeds throughout. Mostly because they store seeds for the winter and second because they don't really seem to slow down their metabolism like other ants do at around 4-6°C.

Second for the seeds I think I have tried chia seeds too but I can recommend you to go buy some bird seeds. Not coated in honey or sugar tho. Why bird seeds? Well first since they definitely have less pesticide risks since birds are eating them and yes you can never be sure where they used pesticides and if those are harmful to the ants. You can try to check out a topic I made with a list of seeds you can try and a list that you should absolutely avoid. If you can still get some you can try strawberry or raspberry seeds. I know it's a pain to get them but my ants always collect them whenever they can. They are also not too big and therefor can be processed easily by the nanitics. Next you can try and get some sunflower seeds. Then open the outer shell to make it easier for them to work on them.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.