Solenopsis Invicta Questions

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JustSebas17

Solenopsis Invicta Questions

Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:32 pm

I'm currently keeping a Solenopsis Invicta colony, Three weeks ago I got the queen, with little brood and 2-3 workers.
The last week they have 9 workers, I was pretty happy, then I was attaching their Test Tube Setup to another Test Tube for them to drink sugar water, but... The workers started to disappear. By the time this started I didn´t know about it, till this Monday.

There were 6 worker ants left, I was confused but I didn't take attention to that. This Tuesday I was cleaning their test tube carefully, I put back the ants on the recently clean Test Tube Setup, Then I notice theres only 5 ants left, didn't know why. I was wondering ''Did I miss something when I attached the test tubes?, Did I attach the test tubes wrong?, Did they scaped?'' Yesterday an ant died, didn't surprise, she was 3 weeks old. Now I'm scared :!: , Because theres 4 ants left that has 50/50% to be old, so there going to follow the fallen solodier, probably. :?

Here are my questions:How can I make the brood to develop to adults as quick as posible? How can I make the queen lay more eggs?
And the last question; Where did I went wrong?

AM1C39

Re: Solenopsis Invicta Questions

Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:35 pm

To make them develop the quikest and make sure the queen is laying the maximum amount she can you can feed them a lot and make sure they are in a warm-ish place. Maybe they are just hidding? Can you post some photos?
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

JustSebas17

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:08 pm

AM1C39 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:35 pm
To make them develop the quikest and make sure the queen is laying the maximum amount she can you can feed them a lot and make sure they are in a warm-ish place. Maybe they are just hidding? Can you post some photos?
Sure here are some photos.
They are doing business as usual on the queens favorite and confy part of the cotton
Copy the link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kF_gsUWni0wpumRHNqTXsYGJuE8TLHb3/view?usp=sharing

AM1C39

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Hmm well there are not any bodies or anywhere for them to hide so they must of escaped or the queen ate them but she probably did not. This is a set back for the colony but they survive. Best of luck in the futur!
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]