Moving Queen and nanitics out of test-tube

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntsMichigan

Moving Queen and nanitics out of test-tube

Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:42 pm

I have a Tetramorium queen and about 10 workers that I am trying to move into their long-term home. Their original test tube is getting moldy and I would really like to move them out ASAP. The issue is, they really dont want to leave. I have attached one end of the test tube to their new home (dark with moist conditions) and on the test tube I have been shinning a bright light. This light has been shining for a long time now and the ants arent budging. I'm even noticing condensation forming on the inside glass of the test tube due to the increase in temp that the light has caused. Does anyone have ideas on a better method

Side note: I think the queen has been burrowing into the cotton ball on the water side of the test tube and is placing her brood there so she is very settled in to the test tube.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Moving Queen and nanitics out of test-tube

Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:25 am

Well there is the option of dumping them into the new outworld and connecting or placing a clean testtube inside for them.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

AntsMichigan

Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:05 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:25 am
Well there is the option of dumping them into the new outworld and connecting or placing a clean testtube inside for them.
I would do this but the queen has kind of tunneled into the cotton ball and has placed her eggs in there.

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:20 am

Hm, you could try to shake them out and if there is space place the moldy testtube within the setup so they can retrieve the eggs later, but I don't really recommend this since the moldspores (if there are any) might end up inside their setup. :/
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.