Welcome back to the Camponotus Crew! (New topic, old one got too long)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Re: Welcome back to the Camponotus Crew! (New topic, old one got too long)

Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:20 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:09 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:35 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:23 am

Not entirely sure why, either I did something wrong or disease from a previous mite infestation. Getting a nuptial flight started in captivity is actually rather difficult so they never ended up flying. One time they did produce a strange major worker that grew wings.

Crematogaster grow very quickly and do keep an eye on them as they are escape artists, some people keep them in a sealed enclosure and they still escaped. My Gnamptogenys (Stictoponera) queen's eggs only took about a month to turn into pupae but it took another 2 months for the workers to hatch.
Was that major a gyandromorph?
Not sure, I do have apic of her in my journal: https://www.formiculture.com/topic/16558-syuteos-ant-journal/page-12
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:02 am
SYUTEO wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:23 am

Not entirely sure why, either I did something wrong or disease from a previous mite infestation. Getting a nuptial flight started in captivity is actually rather difficult so they never ended up flying. One time they did produce a strange major worker that grew wings.

Crematogaster grow very quickly and do keep an eye on them as they are escape artists, some people keep them in a sealed enclosure and they still escaped. My Gnamptogenys (Stictoponera) queen's eggs only took about a month to turn into pupae but it took another 2 months for the workers to hatch.
So sad about your colony, was it a nice colony? My cremato pupae are now yellow, probably hatch in a few days, so it takes over 1 month for this crematogaster species for egg to turn into pupa
My Camponotus parius was a very nice colony but they don't really like moving to new setups. I used to have a Crematogaster rogenhoferi queen which I caught in Genting Highlands, theey look very gorgeous but the queen died mysteriously whilst trying to move them to a new test tube. My Gnamptogenys (Stictoponera) colony sadly died to a ghost ant invasion.
That's so unfortunate, my house is covered with what I believe to be pharaoh ants, their in my bathroom and outside my room, I am very wary about these girls and may put some homemade fluon on the outside edges if my out worlds, just as a measure to make sure my ants stay safe. My C. parius colony also does like moving much, but they grow fast, did yours grow quickly as well?
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:45 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Not sure, I do have apic of her in my journal: https://www.formiculture.com/topic/16558-syuteos-ant-journal/page-12
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:

So sad about your colony, was it a nice colony? My cremato pupae are now yellow, probably hatch in a few days, so it takes over 1 month for this crematogaster species for egg to turn into pupa
My Camponotus parius was a very nice colony but they don't really like moving to new setups. I used to have a Crematogaster rogenhoferi queen which I caught in Genting Highlands, theey look very gorgeous but the queen died mysteriously whilst trying to move them to a new test tube. My Gnamptogenys (Stictoponera) colony sadly died to a ghost ant invasion.
That's so unfortunate, my house is covered with what I believe to be pharaoh ants, their in my bathroom and outside my room, I am very wary about these girls and may put some homemade fluon on the outside edges if my out worlds, just as a measure to make sure my ants stay safe. My C. parius colony also does like moving much, but they grow fast, did yours grow quickly as well?
Yes, egg to worker in 1 month.

JaydenScheepers

Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:55 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

My C. granulatus goes from egg to worker in one month, however when my C. parius queen was founding she took basically 2 months, I'm not sure how long it takes now, but they have a lot of brood.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

Polyrhachiskeeper

Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:39 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:

Your house too? Got LOTS of pharaoh ants in my house too, i believe they are pharaoh ants, i dont think they sting but they somtimes leave a mosquito-bite-like thing after. No white postule tho.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Dark Camponotus nicobarensis
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii
-Polyrhachis rastellata 2x

Beginners must not keep Polyrhachis!

Polyrhachiskeeper

Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:42 am

SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

So fast, my campo queen already has cocoons, after 1 month a week i think, my cremato queen already has her first nanitics!!!! So exciting, the nanitics came a few days ago. The cocoons of my camponotus queen seem quite small compared to the ones i found in the wild. This is normal right, because she raises them on her body tisues, so it's smaller than normal.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

JaydenScheepers

Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:55 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

Your house too? Got LOTS of pharaoh ants in my house too, i believe they are pharaoh ants, i dont think they sting but they somtimes leave a mosquito-bite-like thing after. No white postule tho.
They only attack them if disturbed, but they often move their queens, and depending on how long the trail, they can move anywhere between 2-12 queens at any one time. I've never seen anything like it, I have caught them moving queens on numerous occasions.
Keeping:

• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:39 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:42 am
SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

So fast, my campo queen already has cocoons, after 1 month a week i think, my cremato queen already has her first nanitics!!!! So exciting, the nanitics came a few days ago. The cocoons of my camponotus queen seem quite small compared to the ones i found in the wild. This is normal right, because she raises them on her body tisues, so it's smaller than normal.
Yes, it's normal. Nanitics are usually way smaller than mature workers.

Polyrhachiskeeper

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:16 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:55 am
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

They only attack them if disturbed, but they often move their queens, and depending on how long the trail, they can move anywhere between 2-12 queens at any one time. I've never seen anything like it, I have caught them moving queens on numerous occasions.
hmmm.... i only see queen when they are disturbed,the queen are quite small and the males are about as big as the workers.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

SYUTEO

Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:17 am

I almost forgot, five days ago this topic hit it first year anniversary.

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:45 am

My Camponotus now has 12 nanitics. My crematogaster has probably 40 workers or so. I now have a small mealworm farm but my spiny ant refuses to eat it.
I also finally found out what sp. of ant are in my house. They are very anoying and they look alot like Trichomyrmex destructor. They burrow in wood, and have a painful bite, and look alot like pharaoh ants.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii