Welcome back to the Camponotus Crew! (New topic, old one got too long)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SYUTEO

Re: Welcome back to the Camponotus Crew! (New topic, old one got too long)

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:43 am

So today is my late Camponotus parius colony's 3rd birthday.

JaydenScheepers

Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:10 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Congrats. You keep C. parius?
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

SYUTEO

Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:52 pm

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
I used to, but the colony died a few months ago. They were a large colony with about 500-1000 workers and a lot of alates. The queen was caught way back in 2019.

JaydenScheepers

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:35 am

SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
I used to, but the colony died a few months ago. They were a large colony with about 500-1000 workers and a lot of alates. The queen was caught way back in 2019.
Aw that's sad, do you know why they died? Did they ever fly?
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

Polyrhachiskeeper

Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:05 am

i am currently founding camponotus and crematogaster. The crematogaster queen already has pupae after just 3 week after catching her! I bet they'll hatch in just a week. It seems that they develop so fast! Is this normal for crematogaster? She has eggs, larvae and pupae now. My camponotus is also doing quite well, she already has big larvae. The camponotus is my first fully-claustral i ever caught! After 1 year of ant keeping i finally have a 'good' queen. All my other queens are semi-claustral and picky about food (im talking about spiny ants).
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Dark Camponotus nicobarensis
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii
-Polyrhachis rastellata 2x

Beginners must not keep Polyrhachis!

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:17 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

What food? Apparently Camponotus NEED urea to live 2+ years or something
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:23 am

JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

Not entirely sure why, either I did something wrong or disease from a previous mite infestation. Getting a nuptial flight started in captivity is actually rather difficult so they never ended up flying. One time they did produce a strange major worker that grew wings.
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
i am currently founding camponotus and crematogaster. The crematogaster queen already has pupae after just 3 week after catching her! I bet they'll hatch in just a week. It seems that they develop so fast! Is this normal for crematogaster? She has eggs, larvae and pupae now. My camponotus is also doing quite well, she already has big larvae. The camponotus is my first fully-claustral i ever caught! After 1 year of ant keeping i finally have a 'good' queen. All my other queens are semi-claustral and picky about food (im talking about spiny ants).
Crematogaster grow very quickly and do keep an eye on them as they are escape artists, some people keep them in a sealed enclosure and they still escaped. My Gnamptogenys (Stictoponera) queen's eggs only took about a month to turn into pupae but it took another 2 months for the workers to hatch.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:35 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

Not entirely sure why, either I did something wrong or disease from a previous mite infestation. Getting a nuptial flight started in captivity is actually rather difficult so they never ended up flying. One time they did produce a strange major worker that grew wings.
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Crematogaster grow very quickly and do keep an eye on them as they are escape artists, some people keep them in a sealed enclosure and they still escaped. My Gnamptogenys (Stictoponera) queen's eggs only took about a month to turn into pupae but it took another 2 months for the workers to hatch.
Was that major a gyandromorph?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Polyrhachiskeeper

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:02 am

SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
So sad about your colony, was it a nice colony? My cremato pupae are now yellow, probably hatch in a few days, so it takes over 1 month for this crematogaster species for egg to turn into pupa
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Dark Camponotus nicobarensis
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii
-Polyrhachis rastellata 2x

Beginners must not keep Polyrhachis!

SYUTEO

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:09 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:35 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Was that major a gyandromorph?
Not sure, I do have apic of her in my journal: https://www.formiculture.com/topic/16558-syuteos-ant-journal/page-12
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:02 am
SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
So sad about your colony, was it a nice colony? My cremato pupae are now yellow, probably hatch in a few days, so it takes over 1 month for this crematogaster species for egg to turn into pupa
My Camponotus parius was a very nice colony but they don't really like moving to new setups. I used to have a Crematogaster rogenhoferi queen which I caught in Genting Highlands, theey look very gorgeous but the queen died mysteriously whilst trying to move them to a new test tube. My Gnamptogenys (Stictoponera) colony sadly died to a ghost ant invasion.