Welcome back to the Camponotus Crew! (New topic, old one got too long)

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

JaydenScheepers

Re: Welcome back to the Camponotus Crew! (New topic, old one got too long)

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:15 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:11 pm
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:11 pm
How long has this group existed for?
It recently hit it's 3 year anniversary
Oh nice, I'm happy to finally join this group.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:18 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Counting up the old group as well?
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Dark Camponotus nicobarensis
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii
-Polyrhachis rastellata 2x

Beginners must not keep Polyrhachis!

SYUTEO

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:20 pm

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:06 pm
Im sort of trying to get a Carpenter ant queen, they fly the most round this time and i heard they are extremely easy to keep as they are fully-claustral and eat lots of different food unlike their cousins. Their cousins are picky eaters and i'd love for a change, i mean, they are my favorite ants and i really like them but i just want a easy ant species for once. The only ants i manage to raise are Polyrhachis (their cousins) but i dont think i can keep up for long.
I'm planing on buying a black light for trying to atract queens as in the tropics queens and males fly at night. Will the black light atract mated or unmated queens?
I've heard this on Aqua Antz. It's a youtube channel in singapore in which he tells about ant keeping in the tropics. I'ts really helpful as ive seen a colony with males (and i think queens) pouring out, next morning their all gone. Now i know where they've gone, they've had their nuptial flight at night.
This is not an advertisement, just saying its helpful and anybody in the tropics can go check it out. It's helpful because i have only seen USA videos or Europe videos saying to go search after rain in the day (partly true: rain is true but it needs to rain for 3 hours straight in the tropics, day is not true). This is of course for temperate regions but i have followed this method and thought it was correct but i had no success with it.
Almost all the queen ants i caught were in the morning and at night which died for some reason and only 1 in the afternoon (which i caught yesterday :D but is probably a Polyrhachis ant :( :) ). Even AntsCanada said to follow this method while he lives in the Philippines. Lots of viewers are probably in USA or other temperate regions, but he never told the method he used.

Here is my first ever queen ant i caught (this is a similar version, i cant upload it from my files):
The method I use is to wait for rain and go to a nearby park at night, I have found plenty of Camponotus and sometimes Polyrhachis queens during the morning before. The queens that I typically find at night are Pheidole parva, Camponotus albosparsus, Nylanderia sp, Solenopsis geminata, Polyrhachis rastellata, Carebara diversa, Trichomyrmex sp and a lot more. The queens I typically find during the morning are Camponotus irritans, Camponotus parius, Oecophylla smaragdina and at least 3 gold and silver Polyrhachis species. The only queens I found during noon and afternoon are Meranoplus bicolor, Platythyrea sp and Tetraponera sp.
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
JaydenScheepers wrote:
Yes. The old one was first posted during 2019.

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:24 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Im sort of trying to get a Carpenter ant queen, they fly the most round this time and i heard they are extremely easy to keep as they are fully-claustral and eat lots of different food unlike their cousins. Their cousins are picky eaters and i'd love for a change, i mean, they are my favorite ants and i really like them but i just want a easy ant species for once. The only ants i manage to raise are Polyrhachis (their cousins) but i dont think i can keep up for long.
I'm planing on buying a black light for trying to atract queens as in the tropics queens and males fly at night. Will the black light atract mated or unmated queens?
I've heard this on Aqua Antz. It's a youtube channel in singapore in which he tells about ant keeping in the tropics. I'ts really helpful as ive seen a colony with males (and i think queens) pouring out, next morning their all gone. Now i know where they've gone, they've had their nuptial flight at night.
This is not an advertisement, just saying its helpful and anybody in the tropics can go check it out. It's helpful because i have only seen USA videos or Europe videos saying to go search after rain in the day (partly true: rain is true but it needs to rain for 3 hours straight in the tropics, day is not true). This is of course for temperate regions but i have followed this method and thought it was correct but i had no success with it.
Almost all the queen ants i caught were in the morning and at night which died for some reason and only 1 in the afternoon (which i caught yesterday :D but is probably a Polyrhachis ant :( :) ). Even AntsCanada said to follow this method while he lives in the Philippines. Lots of viewers are probably in USA or other temperate regions, but he never told the method he used.

Here is my first ever queen ant i caught (this is a similar version, i cant upload it from my files):
The method I use is to wait for rain and go to a nearby park at night, I have found plenty of Camponotus and sometimes Polyrhachis queens during the morning before. The queens that I typically find at night are Pheidole parva, Camponotus albosparsus, Nylanderia sp, Solenopsis geminata, Polyrhachis rastellata, Carebara diversa, Trichomyrmex sp and a lot more. The queens I typically find during the morning are Camponotus irritans, Camponotus parius, Oecophylla smaragdina and at least 3 gold and silver Polyrhachis species. The only queens I found during noon and afternoon are Meranoplus bicolor, Platythyrea sp and Tetraponera sp.
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
Yeah, i found another Queen of what i believe is a gold tailed spiny ant (Again? It seems like a spiny ant paradise here!) which i caught in the late afternoon in the jungle. I'll make a new topic on that.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

SYUTEO

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:26 pm

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:

Yeah, i found another Queen of what i believe is a gold tailed spiny ant (Again? It seems like a spiny ant paradise here!) which i caught in the late afternoon in the jungle. I'll make a new topic on that.
I had a friend who saw a lizard eat a Polyrhachis saevissima queen in front of him. I also once also saw a baby jumping spider eat a Myopopone queen (dracula ant) in front of me.

Polyrhachiskeeper

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:30 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
I had a friend who saw a lizard eat a Polyrhachis saevissima queen in front of him. I also once also saw a baby jumping spider eat a Myopopone queen (dracula ant) in front of me.
OMG! So unlucky! How big was the baby jumping spider, i thought jumping spider weren't that big.
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii

SYUTEO

Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:57 am

Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:30 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
Polyrhachiskeeper wrote:

OMG! So unlucky! How big was the baby jumping spider, i thought jumping spider weren't that big.
About 5mm. Also dracula ants aren't that big

antperson24

Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:38 am

My one year old Camponotus novaeboracensis colony has around 40 workers and a few majors, who are surprisingly large for a small colony. But their brood pile is CRAZY there has got to be like 55 brood in the pile ranging for tinny egg to huge pupa. It is so exiting to finally start seeing them grow! :D
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:45 am

I am actually surprised C. Floridanus sell for as much as 20$. I keep accidentally finding them in sticks :lol:
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Polyrhachiskeeper

Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:53 pm

When a Camponotus queen gets her first nanitic, you feed them a week after right?
Favorite ant:
Polyrhachis/Echinopla

Founding:
-Polyrhachis illaudata
-Polyrhachis beccarii