Lasius Niger

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SpiderGenral

Lasius Niger

Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:49 am

My queen is in a big test tube. Species : Lasius Niger. My queen is taking care off eggs. I fed her honey and she loved it so much she tried look everywhere for more xD but what protein food can I feed her. Is cooked rice good protein source or uncooked?

Rovvov99

Re: Lasius Niger

Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:13 am

Hello, good to see that your queen is doing so well ! She doesn't need any protein food right now, she will raise the first workers with fat reserves. You can give them a fruitfly or another small insect when the first workers are there.
Good luck !

SpiderGenral

Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:27 pm

I have 2 queen ants and there both laying eggs and I thought is it possible for them both to work together? Species Lasius Niger

Rovvov99

Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Yes, that is possible and it is called pleometrosis, in fact I even started a blog about it. You can read it here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=183

But I don't think you can do it, because your queens already laid eggs. If you wanted to do pleometrosis you had to put them together from the start.

SpiderGenral

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:11 pm

Just wondering but how could I keep my ants at the right temperature. I thought of leaving my iPhone top part on the ends of the test tube not the water side and not near the eggs because when I leave my iPhone on for a long time it's generates quite a lot of heat on the top

SpiderGenral

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:13 pm

My ant queen goes to the heated part of the test tube is this a good sign that she likes it?

SpiderGenral

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:17 pm

How I know if she doesn't like the heat or it's too much?

Rovvov99

Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:07 pm

Heating with an IPhone isn't a good idea, they aren't made for heating and you can't control the temperature. For heating is it best to use an heating mat or an heating cable. That the queen goes to the warm part is natural, heat speeds up the development after all. But it's actualy not a very good idea to heat your queen. You probably want the brood to develop as soon a possible, that is good and all but the most she needs now is rest.