Ant Disaster

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

cosmo1190

Re: Ant Disaster

Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:50 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:38 am
Well I wouldn't use dish soap. Just to avoid any issues.
Oh....hmmm

i was just trying to wash the glue smell away...so it's bad too hmm..
:mrgreen:

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-1 Tapinoma Melanocephalum
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:25 am

Well first, it always depends on the brand. I cannot rule out that the dish soap you are using is harmful or not since I'm not a chemist and also not a biologist which the knowledge to tell you on what to look. You can use dish soap but you will have to heavily wash it off to avoid any issues. But you can also just use regular water and try and clean out the smell. I also helps to have the fishtank lay sideways in case the fumes are heavier than the air, then they will just linger for longer in your fishtank. I have no idea what glasglue it is or how that was manufactures and therefore also cannot tell what kind of fumes are released and how toxic they may be to humans, pets and other living beings.

I thought it was good to give you a view on how I see things and why I give a clear yes or no. I can only share my knowledge that I have gathered over the years from school or through reading and hearing.

So basically it's on your own risk if you want to use dish soap or another soap / cleaning material. A more natural solution could be lemon juice (not a soft drink) which you might be able to buy at your local supermarket. It's basically lemon acid and you can use it to clean the chalk from a water boiler. No chemicals inside and you can apply it straight to it. But it might weaken the glue as well. So maybe check with the manufacturer of your glass glue on how to clean it to have it the least harmful. Maybe read on the back of the bottle and check the hazard signs.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

cosmo1190

Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:00 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:25 am
Well first, it always depends on the brand. I cannot rule out that the dish soap you are using is harmful or not since I'm not a chemist and also not a biologist which the knowledge to tell you on what to look. You can use dish soap but you will have to heavily wash it off to avoid any issues. But you can also just use regular water and try and clean out the smell. I also helps to have the fishtank lay sideways in case the fumes are heavier than the air, then they will just linger for longer in your fishtank. I have no idea what glasglue it is or how that was manufactures and therefore also cannot tell what kind of fumes are released and how toxic they may be to humans, pets and other living beings.

I thought it was good to give you a view on how I see things and why I give a clear yes or no. I can only share my knowledge that I have gathered over the years from school or through reading and hearing.

So basically it's on your own risk if you want to use dish soap or another soap / cleaning material. A more natural solution could be lemon juice (not a soft drink) which you might be able to buy at your local supermarket. It's basically lemon acid and you can use it to clean the chalk from a water boiler. No chemicals inside and you can apply it straight to it. But it might weaken the glue as well. So maybe check with the manufacturer of your glass glue on how to clean it to have it the least harmful. Maybe read on the back of the bottle and check the hazard signs.
Got it,Thank You For The information!!

I will use the "natural" one for now on....truly...thank you for the long explanation :D :D

and of course i will check my glue aswell

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:28 am

Yeah i can imagine that it is hard to know all these things, out of the box and nowhere, but that's why there is a forum with a community. ;)

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

cosmo1190

Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:34 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Yeah i can imagine that it is hard to know all these things, out of the box and nowhere, but that's why there is a forum with a community. ;)
You and SYUTEO have helped me a lot..

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

cosmo1190

Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:46 pm

cosmo1190 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:34 am
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
You and SYUTEO have helped me a lot..
Update:the ant won't lay egg's and always attempting to escape from the test tube? why?

this is the same ant that escape out of test tube and pupae went missing,please help...anyone

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:58 am

Could you perhaps add a bit more details? Because I don't remember which one it was. ^^'

cosmo1190

Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:45 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:58 am
Could you perhaps add a bit more details? Because I don't remember which one it was. ^^'
The ant that fall off cause my cat,and egg was probably eaten by tapinomas

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-2 Pheidole Megacephala