Ants wont eat/mold

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

RaylaIsBest

Ants wont eat/mold

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:39 am

hi! I have a carpenter ant colony, and I have them situated in two test tube tapes together with hoes in tape for air. They are fine, but there is alot of mold in the first test tube, and they refuse to move into the new one, even after multiple sessions of shining a bright light on their current test tube and covering the ontherone with cloth and leaving it like that over night. I have a couple questions.

1. I am currently just detaching the test tube they dont live in and putting food in there so I can clean it easier. Ive been giving them a half a cricket and some honey to feed every week, but these past couple weeks I noticed they havent been eating it much. I still replace it every week so it doesnt get moldy, but it seems to be getting worse. I also noticed that they have been eating the honey I put in there, but not the cricket? My theory is that it is too big. I will atach a pic si you can see the size of the cricket as well as the mold. That leads to my next probleme. (they have 8 workers, if that helps)

2. THERE IS SO MCUH MOLD. I have had them connected to a new test tube for a few weeks now, and they wont BUDGE! I dont want them to run out of fresh water, so I keep a new one connected at all times. I have tried a light, but still no results. Ive gotten a few sggestions to tip them into the new one, but im afraid that will harm the eggs, or even the queen. Any advice? Thanks!

RaylaIsBest

Re: Ants wont eat/mold

Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:54 am

I cant edit it for some reason and frogot to add pics. Is very late. Will add tmr.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Ants wont eat/mold

Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:21 am

what you can try is to move them by force. with this I mean you just dump the queen and workers into a new testtube by connecting both with a tube and then shaking and taping a little bit.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.