Re: FEEDING IRIDOMYRMEX ANCEPS WHILE IN THE TEST TUBE

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:09 am

cosmo1190 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:52 am
SYUTEO wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:03 am
cosmo1190 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:02 am

Wait,i was just browsing about ant barrier in the forum and....i found that vaseline is the weakest? and infact i find that baby powder+alcohol is stronger...is that true?
I suppose that it depends on the brand. For me, baby powder + alcohol didn't really work (probably because I didn't add enough baby powder) and I didn't like the smell. Vaseline worked for stopping my Lepisiota rothneyi (5-10% of the workers still made it through), Pheidole parva (8-15% made it out), Iridomyrmex anceps (now deseaced :( ) (5-12% made it out), Camponotus parius (3-8% made it out).
I see,maybe i will try vaseline...big respect for your Iridomyrmex anceps though.you are truly an experienced ant keeper,i'm lucky to met you and other amazing people here.

and also,do i need to clean my test tube before i connected it to outworld? or do they going to take their junk out after i connected it to outworld by themselve's?
Cleaning the test tube while the ants are still inside is very risky and you may accidentally injure the queen or get bitten by the ants (I've been bitten by I. anceps before, it hurts). It's better to introduce them to a new test tube instead of cleaning the old one while they are still inside. Or you just introduce springtails instead.

cosmo1190

Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:03 am

SYUTEO wrote:
cosmo1190 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:03 am

I suppose that it depends on the brand. For me, baby powder + alcohol didn't really work (probably because I didn't add enough baby powder) and I didn't like the smell. Vaseline worked for stopping my Lepisiota rothneyi (5-10% of the workers still made it through), Pheidole parva (8-15% made it out), Iridomyrmex anceps (now deseaced :( ) (5-12% made it out), Camponotus parius (3-8% made it out).
I see,maybe i will try vaseline...big respect for your Iridomyrmex anceps though.you are truly an experienced ant keeper,i'm lucky to met you and other amazing people here.

and also,do i need to clean my test tube before i connected it to outworld? or do they going to take their junk out after i connected it to outworld by themselve's?
Cleaning the test tube while the ants are still inside is very risky and you may accidentally injure the queen or get bitten by the ants (I've been bitten by I. anceps before, it hurts). It's better to introduce them to a new test tube instead of cleaning the old one while they are still inside. Or you just introduce springtails instead.
Thing is,i already move them to new test tube yesterday,is it ok to move them again by weekend?
:mrgreen:

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-1 Tapinoma Melanocephalum
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

SYUTEO

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:31 pm

cosmo1190 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
cosmo1190 wrote:

Thing is,i already move them to new test tube yesterday,is it ok to move them again by weekend?
If the test tube is getting moldy, then yes, you can move them to a new test tube.

cosmo1190

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:36 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
cosmo1190 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

If the test tube is getting moldy, then yes, you can move them to a new test tube.
okay then,thank you

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:36 am

cosmo1190 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:05 am
Hello,it's me again..
i have a bit of problem recently,i accidentaly killed two worker ant's cause they are escaping and i grab them with my finger too hard.my ant's escaping while i clean their bug mess that i feed them before i have difficulties of cleaning the tube cause i don't have an outworld..and i'm quite sad about what just happen..so i have some question

-is it ok to feed iridomyrmex anceps founding colony just honey till i move them to formicarium?

-if i really need to feed them bug,do i really need to clean the waste?

thank you for reading and answering...appreciate it :mrgreen:
Here are my tips.

If they escape, trap them with some cotton. This will avoid that you squeeze them too hard. Hold or put the testtube above/in a small box with a baby powder barrier, so they cannot get very far.

Ants getting out of the testtube during feeding, is a very common thing to me. Every now and then they try but only run around the testtube entrance. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

cosmo1190

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:56 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:36 am
cosmo1190 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:05 am
Hello,it's me again..
i have a bit of problem recently,i accidentaly killed two worker ant's cause they are escaping and i grab them with my finger too hard.my ant's escaping while i clean their bug mess that i feed them before i have difficulties of cleaning the tube cause i don't have an outworld..and i'm quite sad about what just happen..so i have some question

-is it ok to feed iridomyrmex anceps founding colony just honey till i move them to formicarium?

-if i really need to feed them bug,do i really need to clean the waste?

thank you for reading and answering...appreciate it :mrgreen:
Here are my tips.

If they escape, trap them with some cotton. This will avoid that you squeeze them too hard. Hold or put the testtube above/in a small box with a baby powder barrier, so they cannot get very far.

Ants getting out of the testtube during feeding, is a very common thing to me. Every now and then they try but only run around the testtube entrance. ;)
Oh,So that's it...thank you!!!

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

cosmo1190

Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:42 am

SYUTEO wrote:
cosmo1190 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

Hi,so i used vaseline for the outworld...and....it didnt work for my i.anceps it work for my t.melanocephalum but it didnt work for my irido...they just walk by... :shock: :shock:

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

SYUTEO

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:19 am

cosmo1190 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
cosmo1190 wrote:

Hi,so i used vaseline for the outworld...and....it didnt work for my i.anceps it work for my t.melanocephalum but it didnt work for my irido...they just walk by... :shock: :shock:
Then I guess you should use something else. You can use fluon (PTFE) (If you have it) but leave the lid open until it dries as the fumes it releases before drying is toxic.

cosmo1190

Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:27 am

SYUTEO wrote:
cosmo1190 wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:

Then I guess you should use something else. You can use fluon (PTFE) (If you have it) but leave the lid open until it dries as the fumes it releases before drying is toxic.
where can i buy it tho? aside from ants store

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

SYUTEO

Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:19 am

cosmo1190 wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:27 am
SYUTEO wrote:
cosmo1190 wrote:

where can i buy it tho? aside from ants store
I guess you can buy it online if it's available.