Urgent

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

tred9287

Urgent

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:02 pm

Ok so my pogo queen has built tunneles and I put here in a small tubber ware with sand and cleaning out some dead crickets I noteced there where hairline cracks all on top of her tunnels so I wanted too put her in my formacarium and heat her up or what should i do please help but my formacarium have black ants too but I could create a Barrier out of some wood and block her off from the black ants

Batspiderfish

Re: Urgent

Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Are there two different ants in the same enclosure? I also don't understand what the problem is with her tunnels.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

tred9287

Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:13 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Are there two different ants in the same enclosure? I also don't understand what the problem is with her tunnels.
Yes 2 ants in the Same encloser and her tunnels that made from playsand are collapsing

Batspiderfish

Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:30 pm

She can probably dig herself out if she needs to. Just don't bump or move the enclosure, and keep it moist with a spray bottle or something. It's almost always a bad idea to put two colonies in the same enclosure.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Lukestewart

Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:37 pm

How come not two inside the same enclosure? If an aquarium was divided by glass into two sections is that still bad?

Batspiderfish

Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:12 am

Lukestewart wrote:How come not two inside the same enclosure? If an aquarium was divided by glass into two sections is that still bad?
Because with very few exceptions, two colonies of ants will kill each other in a small enclosure.

You're probably going to have a really hard time keeping them away from each other in the same tank (unless the two partitions were siliconed off before anything else was added).

Lukestewart

Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:28 am

Yeah I am thinking of dividing it by glass with them being half each ie a 2-3 foot aquarium with glass in the middle making the aquarium 2. Like this.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=praw ... TwxDCsM%3A

Lukestewart

Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:18 am

Batfishspider?

Batspiderfish

Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:42 am

Batspiderfish wrote:You're probably going to have a really hard time keeping them away from each other in the same tank (unless the two partitions were siliconed off before anything else was added).