Looking for info on Tapinoma Sessile

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jharrell23867

Looking for info on Tapinoma Sessile

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:41 am

So these little buggers have invaded my home... I cannot get a good enough picture of them for a positive I.D. in the I.D. section but i am all but positive that i have captured several Tapinoma Sessile Queens as they look identical to the pictures i have found... 3mm queens & 2mm workers...

Only info i can find online is that they have a ton of common nicknames like House ant, Stink ant, sugar ant, coconut ant (because of the smell they make when smashed) & that they can have hundreds of queens per colony & that they live in small satellite colonies over a large area & during winter they all fuse into one super colony. They Queens are also short lived, living only 8 months before dying the same as their workers.

Would this colony only last 8 months? The three queens i have, started laying eggs already. Would they make good pets or should i just turn them loose as i am not interested in a ant colony that will die so shortly.

AntsMclama

Re: Looking for info on Tapinoma Sessile

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:40 pm

woah woah noo no 8 months? this has to be wrong, All of my ant queens so far.. are Tapinoma Sessile! And i just recently had my 3 queen one evict one of my queens, I put her in a tube with some eggs 2 and 2 workers that were still "friendly" with her. http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2093

i have 5 of Tapinoma Sessile queens, and 2 of them are still a single colony right now. The 2 that are with eachother appear to be "hibernating" so to speak with their 20some workers. So i can't offer much help as a newbie myself :)

Batspiderfish

Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:38 pm

Tapinoma sessile queens can live at least five years.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Jharrell23867

Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:15 pm

AntsMclama wrote:woah woah noo no 8 months? this has to be wrong, All of my ant queens so far.. are Tapinoma Sessile! And i just recently had my 3 queen one evict one of my queens, I put her in a tube with some eggs 2 and 2 workers that were still "friendly" with her. http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2093

i have 5 of Tapinoma Sessile queens, and 2 of them are still a single colony right now. The 2 that are with eachother appear to be "hibernating" so to speak with their 20some workers. So i can't offer much help as a newbie myself :)

Hmmm my queens are a lot smaller than yours... they are queens tho as they have started laying eggs...

After reading some im not sure what i have as yours will eject queens... the colony i got mine from had so many queens that its just ridiculous to fathom... I literally just scooped ants at random and caught 3 queens & 3 workers with hundreds if not thousands more running about. I would say that 1 in 10 ants was a queen & not just a winged elate waiting for a flight but full on egg laying queens... I thought they were all workers at first until i caught some for observation.

I really need a better camera as i cannot get a good picture of these tiny ants at all...