Is this a good idea

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Jeseee

Is this a good idea

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:47 pm

I have had my black carpenter (Camponotus pennsulvanicus) queen for a while now (approximately 60+ days)
And she has no workers… she has put her eggs behind the water Cotton and then the eggs rot and “die”So I was gonna buy a tarheel ant mini heath so that doesn’t happen. .(I want to buy the tarheel ant mini hearth for after so I thought it would be good to do it sooner than later.) What do you guys think?
I really think that she is shoving the eggs in the cotton and causing her stress because she is trying to keep them safe. That is my opinion…
Please leave any info and your opinions. Thank you all so much!

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Is this a good idea

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:10 am

My first questions (as always) are, how often do you check on her and have you tried is to put the queen in a new testtube?
Checking once a week is fine.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Jeseee

Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:32 am

I normally check on her every 3 days but since she has been putting here eggs behin
d the cotton I have been checking on her everyday. I know that gives them stress but I was trying to figure out why she was doing that.

AntsLuxembourg

Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 am

Usually when I had to check, I would darken the room and check with a very weak lightsource just to see what was going on to avoid big stress. But I would try a new testtube.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.