New eggs!!!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Theantkid

New eggs!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:11 am

I left my ant queen alone for a few days and now she has way more eggs then before!!!!! :D :)
Theantkid, Keeper of Formica subsericea/The Black Knights, Queen name, Black and Gold.

SYUTEO

Re: New eggs!!!

Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:45 am

Amazing! :D Also, the longer you don't disturb her, the less chance she is going to eat her eggs and the higher chance she will lay more.

Theantkid

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:25 pm

Thank you, and is it also to late to start an ant queen journal on here? Thanks in advance! :D :)
Theantkid, Keeper of Formica subsericea/The Black Knights, Queen name, Black and Gold.

TalANTFlame

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:28 pm

Of course not. An ant journal would be awesome. That is after all, why some of us are here. :)
Owner of:
x1 Possibly Paratrechina Longicornis :D
x1 Twin Tailed Halfmoon fish
x1 mealworm farm

Theantkid

Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:29 pm

Thank you!!!! :) :)

LetFlygonsBeFlygons

Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:33 pm

Nice. I caught my queens on the 24th. They haven’t laid any egg as of yet from what I can see, but I think I’ve been checking in on them too much. I shouldn’t do so more than once a week. Hopefully at least one of them will lay a few eggs. They way they live is both fascinating and yet a bit sad how they starve themselves and lay eggs. I’m not too sure how long it’ll take for there to be enough workers to put them in their permanent home. My mom doesn’t want a whole Formicarium so I have to make do with an ant farm, apologies if that’s considered ant keeping sacrilege. I wonder how long it’ll take for them to amass a large enough population of workers.

SYUTEO

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:46 am

LetFlygonsBeFlygons wrote:
Nice. I caught my queens on the 24th. They haven’t laid any egg as of yet from what I can see, but I think I’ve been checking in on them too much. I shouldn’t do so more than once a week. Hopefully at least one of them will lay a few eggs. They way they live is both fascinating and yet a bit sad how they starve themselves and lay eggs. I’m not too sure how long it’ll take for there to be enough workers to put them in their permanent home. My mom doesn’t want a whole Formicarium so I have to make do with an ant farm, apologies if that’s considered ant keeping sacrilege. I wonder how long it’ll take for them to amass a large enough population of workers.
As long as it's not a gel ant farm it should be alright. Gel ant farms are more suitable for short-term housing, keeping your ants long-term in a gel ant farm can kill your colony.

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:11 am

LetFlygonsBeFlygons wrote:
Depends on the species. Fireants tend to explode within months, depending on how much you feed them. Carpenter ants are slow but big compared to most species. It may take years for your species to reach the limit of what the testtube can hold. I don't know how she defines Formicarium, however if the colony is small you can make do with something like an AC Anttower for a good while.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.