Fungicides in test tubes

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

KristijanVelja

Fungicides in test tubes

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:40 pm

Do fungicides harm ants? It's purpose is to kill off funguses and spores, but does it also kill ants? I've never seen anyone putting them into test tubes so I'm guessing this is a big no

SYUTEO

Re: Fungicides in test tubes

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:24 pm

It depends on the type of fungicide, but I would not recommend using that in your test tubes or formicariums as it's too risky.

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:25 am

Same. I wouldn't recommend this. Especially since it's probably designed to not harm humans but it doesn't care for insect life. It might even infest their watersource and slowly poison them since it may be toxic to the ants on consumption.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Antloverhuman

Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:12 am

Now i am thinking, what about natural fungicide? Like i know that neem tree leaf are used in preventing fungus and mould and i have also seen ants around them so are natural fungicide good??
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:18 am

it depends. Is this ant species adapted to this "natural" fungicide or not? Are they possibly affected by it? Are they having immediate issues or is it something that shows only after having contact to it for years? Is it safe for human, animal or ant consumption? I know that ants are curious and they probably are going to have a sip or two of that stuff.

I recommend to not use fungicide unless they are specifically designed to not harm the ants. Just imaging they are not immune to one of possible many effects that plant can have that are undocumented or unknown. Not to be all negative but I do like to think first and not regret my decisions later.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.