!!!!URGENT!!!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

perryismyname

!!!!URGENT!!!

Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:21 pm

I have had a camp. queen for a bit now and she had about 4 eggs, one hatched then died. Now after 3ish months I gave her a little bit of dried sugar, I can't tell what went wrong but she can't stay upright, her eggs turned brown, and I think she can't turn around in her test tube. What the heck do I do?!!?!??!?!

the eggs are the little things under her

the eggs are the think on the left of the container
Thanks -Perry

Batspiderfish

Re: !!!!URGENT!!!

Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:17 pm

She looks very thin. How long is "a bit"?

Sorry, but I don't think this one is going to make it. :(
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

perryismyname

Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:19 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:She looks very thin. How long is "a bit"?

Sorry, but I don't think this one is going to make it. :(
3 months, i gave her a small bit of sugar to fatten her up but I think she cant turn around therefore lost her eggs behind her. I am probably going to move her out into a different thing. and hope that she can lay new eggs.
Thanks -Perry

Batspiderfish

Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:34 pm

That tube is clearly spacious enough for her to turn around.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

perryismyname

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:That tube is clearly spacious enough for her to turn around.
She has not turned around yet since earlier today and her dead eggs are behind her, the inside of the tube is a bit smaller than the outside. I am just going to move her out anyways she doesn't seem to be doing too well in there. I also don't know why but she always has her jaws wide open like she is pissed off at something, I have no clue what it is. (note she turned around in the chamber now but she is still upside down and flailing her jaws.)
Thanks -Perry

Batspiderfish

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:50 pm

The last chance you can give her is to put her into a container with a damp wad of cotton and see if she recovers. I don't think she'll be able to raise another batch of brood without feedings.

Lukestewart

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:14 am

sorry for the off topic. Hope she comes good. Could it be dehydration?

How did you make your test tube holder? Looks like a good idea.

perryismyname

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:57 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:The last chance you can give her is to put her into a container with a damp wad of cotton and see if she recovers. I don't think she'll be able to raise another batch of brood without feedings.
She is in a new tube but is still flipping out, now only time will tell..... );
Thanks -Perry

perryismyname

Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Lukestewart wrote:sorry for the off topic. Hope she comes good. Could it be dehydration?

How did you make your test tube holder? Looks like a good idea.
She had lots of water, but the tube holder was actually quite easy to make. I first just measured the diameter of the test tubes and multiplied that by three. For me that was 1.5 inches or so, then I made the outside cover the length of the test tubes as well. Lastly, I just made 4 identical pieces of cardboard that would fit within the cover and cut them half way down the middle long ways and then slid them into each other. Then that whole thing fit into the cover which made the 3x3 container.
Thanks -Perry

Lukestewart

Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Thanks Perry. Such an easy idea plus keeps them in the dark. Hope she comes good