Myrmecocystus

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SirAnticus

Myrmecocystus

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:44 am

I was thinking of buying a Myrmecocystus queen and i was wondering if any of the AC formicariums would be able to house them. Know they must be able to house the repletes or "Honey Pots".

idahoantgirl

Re: Myrmecocystus

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:11 am

SirAnticus wrote:I was thinking of buying a Myrmecocystus queen and i was wondering if any of the AC formicariums would be able to house them. Know they must be able to house the repletes or "Honey Pots".
when you say buy, do you mean the gan project or buying a queen online form another state or country? If ti's the Gan project then that's fine, but If you are buying her from another state or county, then it is illegal.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

MCWren

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:00 pm

SirAnticus wrote:I was thinking of buying a Myrmecocystus queen and i was wondering if any of the AC formicariums would be able to house them. Know they must be able to house the repletes or "Honey Pots".
I would suggest Tar Heel Ants, because repletes hang upside down. Tar Heel Ants sells a lot of vertical formicaria with lots of ceiling space. AntsCanada's only formicaria that are vertical are the vertical omni nests, which have small chambers. I recommend the tar heel ants Hearth (not the mini hearth, but the full sized one), because it has big chambers with a lot of space for repletes.
Of course, they need to be kept in a test tube or founding formicarium until they have many workers, because a hearth is too big for a founding colony.

SirAnticus

Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:18 pm

I would buy it from drew owner of Formiculture.com and the SoCal GAN farmer

SirAnticus

Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:21 pm

I contacted Michelle from AC and she said the omninests could handle repletes. Knowing P. Imparis has repletes i think they could handle it.

Canadiananter

Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:24 pm

I think that none of the AC formicaria are suitable for myrmecocystus as they MUST hang upside down or the queen might become a replete and lay less eggs

Serafine

Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:47 pm

What about the vertical omni nests? They have tons of ceiling space.