Colony moving nests

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

SanctumPrime

Colony moving nests

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:57 pm

As I explained in a separate topic earlier, I had lucked into finding a colony of Camps in a second hand playset I purchased at a garage sale. I successfully managed to isolate the ants in a bucket until my formucarium and other supplies arrived. I'm happy to announce that my stuff got delivered today and it appears they're moving in!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z7y_KBUvopzNB77NqDfi37QhtENiL-0y/view?usp=drivesdk

This is my first colony and I have a few questions.

1. I don't know the full size of the colony due to them living in something that I can't see through, and I know there's lots of other variables at play, but does anyone have a guess on how long it should take for them to completely move in?

2. I noticed that they don't seem to be moving the brood all the way in. They're moving some into the tube and letting them sit. Is this something that I should be concerned about? I'm keeping a bright light on to discourage them from making it a permanent home, but I didn't know if this was normal behavior or not.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Colony moving nests

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:03 am

1. It takes as much time as it takes for them to make their decision. Sometimes they do it within a few hours as if their live depends on it. And sometimes they do a little, then some more, then go back, then do it again.

2. This is normal. They don't usually move the full colony in one go. Just let them do their thing and if needed you have to do a manual move. That's how I usually roll with things. It's not very easy and I have to make some crazy decisions and be very careful but in the end I am 100% sure they are all out of the nest. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.