How to catch pavement ant/tetramorium queens anywhere you are!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

bugging3out

How to catch pavement ant/tetramorium queens anywhere you are!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:36 am

Hi this is my tutorial on how to catch pavement ant queens.

I catch 30-40 queens of pavement ants in the summer every week. 10-20 of them will be fertile and lay eggs. Here is some helpful tips that you may want to use.

1. There is no time for these ants. A lot of people say that pavement ants have their nuptial flights at early in the morning. False! I have seen these girls having their nuptial flight at 12pm 5pm 6am 10 am 3 am 4 am. They have it whenever. I have seen a black light and a sheet really works with these girls at early in the morning and late at night. I did a black light sheeting at 1:45 in July once and they all started pouring on the sheet, thousands of Males, queens.

2. Having a pool is very useful. If you have a pool, you are in luck. You will find hundreds of them in your pool swimming around. Using the pool skimmer is useful to scoop them up.

3. Always have a container on the go. Put a tiny container in your pocket every time you go outside of the house. Once you catch them then you can put them in a fresh test tube setup.

4. Always test tube them separately. In the beginning they will raise their workers together and they may seem nice then but after the 200-300 worker point they will fight bad. Leaving one queen dead and one queen alive or both dead. So test tube them separately.

I hope you found this tutorial helpful, Bugging3out
Why did I even make a signature if I am just gonna say this.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: How to catch pavement ant/tetramorium queens anywhere you are!

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:50 am

Nice. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.