In and Out of The Nest

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Patar139

In and Out of The Nest

Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:34 pm

Hello! I am a newbie looking for some input on some strange behavior exhibited by my Camponotus colony! I believe I am having some issues getting their humidity balance right. You guys be the judge! I recently introduced them into their hybrid nest and I think from the start I had to much water underneath. The Queen never left the nest, but every morning there would be a large collection of ants with a pile of eggs and brood just outside the nest in the tube. Around sunset they would pull everyone back inside though. I think this might have been to clear the passage for the workers to go in and out of the outworld during the night while they scavenged. I removed half the wet coco fiber, soaked up excess water, and replaced the removed fiber with dry fiber. the behavior continued, but the amount of ants and the pile appeared to decrease. All other behavior seems normal. eating and drinking regularly and happily. Everything equiptment wise is new and cleaned properly. The room is kept warm. They are just in and out haha. After a week or so I began to worry the fiber was going to get to dry and that maybe I should add just a touch of water. I added around a tablespoon or two. They didn't appear to immediately hate it like they did when I knew I obviously had way to much water. It has been two days now and this morning I found they are all in the tube now. Queen included. Do you guys think it was the water again? Or could there be some other factor I'm over looking because I'm too busy focusing on the humidity issue?! I checked underneath and there isn't and extra build up of water, in fact the dry half I put back in appears the be pretty dry still. Any help is appreciated! <3

AntsLuxembourg

Re: In and Out of The Nest

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:13 am

Hey,
I don't know what camponodus colony you have but I know that some antcolonies sometimes bring their puppae outside to bake them in the sunlight for a bit. I also recently saw part of a documentary about a colony high up in the mountain where the ants would all come outside during the morning and then exchange their body heat by going back in after a while and swap places with the colder members of the colony. So it could be that or they are just showing their fellow younglings the nest. hehe.
I don't think it is something to be too worried about. You could try to add an empty testtube just to provide a dry area but for the rest I guess you are fine. Btw how big is your colony? I imagine a small setup with about 20-30 workers but I may be wrong here.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Patar139

Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:33 am

I appreciate the response!! The colony size is a little larger with 40-50. Yesterday we noticed our first beautiful majors (two of them)! I noticed them because they were in the tube with the others yesterday morning haha. It would be so adorable if they were coming out to get some warmth in the day! Do you think I should get a heater if that is the case or maybe just let them do this behavior if its their way of regulating their temps? The room is kept decently warm during the day with the blinds open. the ac in the room is going but its set up at 76 to 80 range just for the sake of the rest of the house in this Florida heat. The upstairs room doesn't hold the cool that well with the blinds all open and the sun pouring in. Thanks for the reassurance, like I said I'm new and I am always second guessing myself. it is nice to have others to look to for advice!

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:19 am

You could try with a heating mat but only put it in one corner of the hybrid nest. Maybe around the entrance they leave to "*** SPAM ***". Give it a try if you want to and let us know. ;)
Pictures are always appreciated.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.