Moving ants from a dry test tube to a new one

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Alexandros

Moving ants from a dry test tube to a new one

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:42 pm

I am trying to move my ants to a new test tube because their current test tube is bone-dry. And I can't seem to scare away these -5 workers sitting on the exit-cotton. So I can't open the test tube with these workers there and attach it to a new one. Could anybody help me please?
New to ant keeping, keeping a Messor structor colony. Also I have 2 camponotus queens and what seems, 2 tetramorium queens :D

Λατρεύω τα μυρμήγκια!

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Moving ants from a dry test tube to a new one

Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:57 am

If it's not a species that can cause you a lot of pain then it should be fine. Just grab the cotton and stuff it into the new testtube. Of place the cotton in a glas jar or container so you can add them to the rest of the colony afterwards.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

Alexandros

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:35 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:57 am
If it's not a species that can cause you a lot of pain then it should be fine. Just grab the cotton and stuff it into the new testtube. Of place the cotton in a glas jar or container so you can add them to the rest of the colony afterwards.
Yes, that sounds like a good idea, but won't the escapists die alone if I don't put them back in their home test tube? You know, because there are always little workers in the exit cotton and I won't be able to open it :oops: . But I thought, what if I put them in an outworld and made my life easier after doing what you said, or would it be a problem because there are only 10 very tiny workers. What do you thing I should do?
New to ant keeping, keeping a Messor structor colony. Also I have 2 camponotus queens and what seems, 2 tetramorium queens :D

Λατρεύω τα μυρμήγκια!

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:51 am

As I mentioned just throw the cotton with the attached workers into a glass jar for temporary save keeping. You can still catch them and put them back with the rest of the colony. They don't die immediately but they need some food in case they have to live like this for more than a few weeks. Just give it a try and let me / us know how it went. ;)

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Alexandros

Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:54 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
As I mentioned just throw the cotton with the attached workers into a glass jar for temporary save keeping. You can still catch them and put them back with the rest of the colony. They don't die immediately but they need some food in case they have to live like this for more than a few weeks. Just give it a try and let me / us know how it went. ;)
Ok, thanks. I will try it.

Λατρεύω τα μυρμήγκια!

Alexandros

Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:46 am

Alexandros wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:54 am
AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Ok, thanks. I will try it.
I tried it and well, the ants never moved to the other test tube. After that I just dip the exit cotton in water so at least they get water from there. Sorry I didn't post sooner, I just forgot to.

Λατρεύω τα μυρμήγκια!

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:40 am

If you have a seringe, you can "refill" the other end a bit. It's a better solution because first making the exit cotton wet, seals of the airflow and the ants may suffocate. And second you can if it is long enough refill some of the water that is supposed to be stored. But in any case you should try to get them moving. ;)

blackmold

Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:57 pm

when i had a dry test tube, I went to a farm feed store, they will have syringes and long needles.
used syringes and long needles to refill the water in test tube.

when i had mold on the cotton in my teat tube. i used clear tubing that that fit over the test tube about
5 inches long and cut hole in center of the tubing, by squeezing the tubing flat and cutting off a triangle
piece half the width of flat tubing. then use a hot glue gun to glue 2 inch piece of tubing to from a T
and put cotton in the 2 inch piece of tubing.
Bill

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:22 am

blackmold wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:57 pm
when i had a dry test tube, I went to a farm feed store, they will have syringes and long needles.
used syringes and long needles to refill the water in test tube.

when i had mold on the cotton in my teat tube. i used clear tubing that that fit over the test tube about
5 inches long and cut hole in center of the tubing, by squeezing the tubing flat and cutting off a triangle
piece half the width of flat tubing. then use a hot glue gun to glue 2 inch piece of tubing to from a T
and put cotton in the 2 inch piece of tubing.
Bill
Did something similar for my starting days because i didn't have testtubes so i made me some DIY ones like this. ^^

Alexandros

Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:47 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:40 am
If you have a seringe, you can "refill" the other end a bit. It's a better solution because first making the exit cotton wet, seals of the airflow and the ants may suffocate. And second you can if it is long enough refill some of the water that is supposed to be stored. But in any case you should try to get them moving. ;)
Thanks again for the help, I have some syringes and I will try that method. But I really wish they would move. One of the two queens I want to move to a new test tube, is completely dry AND has a lot of black mold. Also some weird fungus started to grow in both test tubes and I am starting to get worried.