Queen ant trying to escape test tube?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

foopaints

Queen ant trying to escape test tube?

Tue May 11, 2021 11:30 pm

Hi there!

I caught my first queen 3 days ago (in the evening) and have her in a test tube set up. I am reasonably sure I have a Camponotus japonicus queen.

However when I checked on her last evening (to also try to, unsuccessfully, get some better pics to help with ID) she was furiously ripping at the cotton trying to get out. I am of course not sure, if this was a reaction to me checking on her or if she has been trying to get out all along....

Any wisdom for me on this? Should I be worried? Should I take precautions? Or is this normal?
It is making me nervous, but of course I also don't wanna keep checking on her and stress her out further.... :?

Thank you in advance!
Janet

- total ant noob! :lol:

danielw

Re: Queen ant trying to escape test tube?

Wed May 12, 2021 1:54 am

Hi,

I had this issue with my camponotus consibrinis and all of my Iridomyrmex purpureus queens. In the end all I did was not check on them for prolonged period of times(i know it's hard) I used to check on them once every 2 weeks and found they calmed down.

With all 4 of my Iridomyrmex purpureus queens they were very sensitive to light. They would act very erratic when checked and would pull the cotton. I started only using a red head lamp to check on them as I heard ants can't see red light. It worked well with them. From then on they were always calm when I checked on them. Not sure how that will go with Camponotus, I never tried with them.

Hope this helps
2x iridomyrmex purpureus
1x rhytydoponera metallica
1x camponotus consibrinis
1x myrmecia pyriformis
1x iridomyrmex bickneli
2x pheidole sp

danielw

Wed May 12, 2021 1:59 am

In other words this is totally normal haha.

If she has good acces to the water and her tube is kept at a good temperature she will calm down.
2x iridomyrmex purpureus
1x myrmecia pyriformis
1x iridomyrmex bickneli
2x pheidole sp

foopaints

Wed May 12, 2021 3:59 am

Phew ok!
Thank you for putting my mind at ease!!
Love the idea of using a red lamp when checking on them to keep them calm! I will try that!

And yes, I will do my best to leave her in peace! sigh....
I was planning on checking on her once a week. Do you think it's too much? Is every 2 weeks better?

Funny how I've done so much research and felt prepared and as soon as I caught my first queen I'm a nervous wreck! :roll: :lol:
Janet

danielw

Wed May 12, 2021 4:34 am

Haha we all get nervous with our first queen, you soon get used to it.

Once a week should be ok if she seems calm when checking on her. Some ants just take longer to get comfortable is all.

I found the best research is experiencing things. Once you raise one colony you can try different setups tempratures ect. If you pay close attention, the ants behaviour will tell you when your right or wrong.
2x iridomyrmex purpureus
1x myrmecia pyriformis
1x iridomyrmex bickneli
2x pheidole sp

foopaints

Wed May 12, 2021 5:27 am

Thank you!!
The feedback and encouragement really helps!!
Guess I'm just gonna look at photos and the video I took of her to gush in the meantime!! :lol:
Janet