How do I get a colony to move?

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

Smounch

How do I get a colony to move?

Sun May 09, 2021 3:46 am

I currently Have a Lasius N colony, they have been living in a test tube for a long time and are now big enough to be moved into an ant farm, I currently have them hooked up to an AntsCanada ant tower, what would be the best way to get them to start digging and move in?

RuinedDrone

Re: How do I get a colony to move?

Sun May 09, 2021 6:54 am

Time.....

IF you can leave the tube attached then jsut givethem time, once they out grow the tube they will move them selves. You can leave the tube in light, and other methods even to the extreeem of "tipping them out" but they will all stress the colony to a greater or lesser degree.

In my view unless you have a urgent reason to get them out of the tube let them do it in there own time.

dont put water in the tube, food, etc so dont give them a reason to want to stay but other wise wait for them to move at there own pace. The best way to get them to move is incress colony size, keep them warm and well fed and once they hit a limt where they decie the tube is to small they will move out.

They know whats good for them, so if they will not come to any harm while they stay in the tube.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: How do I get a colony to move?

Mon May 10, 2021 1:33 am

Smounch wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 3:46 am
I currently Have a Lasius N colony, they have been living in a test tube for a long time and are now big enough to be moved into an ant farm, I currently have them hooked up to an AntsCanada ant tower, what would be the best way to get them to start digging and move in?
Hey,
I did the same where I attached them to a AC Tower with sand. It took them some time but they eventually moved out into their nest that they took time to dig. They actually started multiple tunnels but they are doing fine. Mine had about 10-20 workers and were technically a small colony but I wanted them to move out so I took the hit of impatients. I know I will not see them very much for a good while and I will have to wait for them to see them growing.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Colonies:
1 - Messor Barbarus
Founding colonies:
2 - Lasius Niger Colony
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566