Help! I have to make a decision!

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

AntLuvForever

Help! I have to make a decision!

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:22 am

I recently bought a ant hybrid nest (not from AntsCanada. Hope thats not offensive but theirs is like 50 dollars and i don't have that much money cause I’m broke.) and is planning on saving it for my ants. However, big problems here. Like i said, i cant afford another purchase. The money was from doing chores and it took me like half a year to save that much. So basically i cant get another nest so i cant have two colonies each with hybrid nests (which, in my opinion is the best kind of nest) :(
But I’m planning on having pavement ants as well as lasius. So... i can only have one ant Colony. What is your opinion? What should i do? I really need some help!
Ant Colonies I Own :

(lasius neoniger)—The Sugar Barons

AM1C39

Re: Help! I have to make a decision!

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:42 am

You should make your own nests, it is easy to do and afortable (if you do it right). If you want me to give you some instructions just ask.
My current colonies:
The miniature military(formica neogagates)
the power of war(camponotus novaeborecensis)
the black hearts(crematogaster cerasi
the blazing nation(Myrmica alaskensis)

AntLuvForever

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:54 am

Sure! Can you post the instructions and materials, I’m sure i can get them!
Ant Colonies I Own :

AM1C39

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:30 am

how to make a simple wooden vertical formicarium

Items required: plexiglass (you could also use glass and most types of plastic), various dimensions of wood, 3 types of screws (you could probably just use 1 type), hot glue (you could use any type of glue), a design for the tunnels (you can do any design you want), something to cut with (like a saw), sandpaper (you do not need sandpaper but it will make it nicer), screwdriver(s), a router (if you don’t have a router there are other thing you can use) and something to make the holes (you can use a normal drill).

What you want to do first is cut everything to the rite sizes: the main piece of wood will be about 35cm by 20cm by 2,5cm, the plexiglass will be the exact surface of the wood, also a smaller piece of plexiglass about 20cm by 7cm. Next you put your design on the wood with a a marker or a pencil. If your wood is thick enough you can make tunnels on both sides. Next you make the tunnels with a router, with chisels or by burning them in you could also do something with the drill. You can sand it down a little but not too much or the ants will fall down the gaps. Next you cut the lid area. Next you put the holes in the plexiglass where the screws will go. Next you screw the plexiglass pieces in. Make sure the screws will hold the plexiglass in. Next you will make the lid to do so you will cut a piece of wood, it should fit perfectly in the lid area. If it is too small or has a gap between it and the glass you can tape cotton to it. Next you will put a long screw in the top of the lid so you can use it as a handle so you can open it easier. Next you will have to put a bottom on so it does not tip over. You can hot glue the bottom on or use screws but if you use screws you will have to use long-ish small screws and make a big hole half way true and a smaller one all the way true. Now with the last step you can fill gaps in with hot glue. There you have it, an easy diy formicarium.

if you have any questions I will answer them. I will probably post some pictures (later) so it is more clear on what you are doing.
My current colonies:

AntLuvForever

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:46 am

WOW. I we have some wooden planks in the garage and we also have a hole driller. I see if i can find some plastic. Thanks! Some pictures can be helpful tho. But i think i got the basic idea! Thx!
Ant Colonies I Own :

AM1C39

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:30 pm

hear are some photos: Image Image Image.
My current colonies:

Jager89

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:44 pm

AM1C39 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:30 pm
hear are some photos: Image Image Image.
Just a heads up images are super tiny like single size of my thumbnail tiny even when opened in another tab.

AntLuvForever

Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:03 pm

Wow thx! Ill see if i can make one of those neat little hybrid nests.
Ant Colonies I Own :

cjerg9

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:45 pm

Here’s another cheap option there called ytong nests you can buy a slab of ytong for very cheap and in the video he tries to use as many easy to find home materials as possible hope this helps!

https://youtu.be/RtS9BO2PRLM

AM1C39

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:26 pm

I used some similar techniques to make my wooden nests, both nests are really good options. In the future I may make a ytong nest. Tell us what nest you decide to make. Good luck!
My current colonies: