Camponotus chromaiodes

Discussions about the care and keeping of ants

Moderator: ooper01

NoahNorman

Camponotus chromaiodes

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:29 pm

I found two componotus chromaiodes colonies, both had workers but no eggs they each had 6 workers, but sadly one of the queens lost all of her workers. What could I do to make them start laying eggs and could I merge the two queens into one colony?

Masdevallia

Re: Camponotus chromaiodes

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:14 pm

First of all, it really isn't a good idea to merge colonies. They will attack each other and leave little behind. My suggestion would be to get a few workers and brood/pupae of various stages and Treat it like a normal colony

Batspiderfish

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:36 pm

You could potentially offer some of the nanitics from one queen to the other, but this will definitely stress out both colonies.

You also should make doubly sure that you are giving the colonies everything they need (i.e. a clean, humid nest and frequent access to fresh food in the foraging arena).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Canadiananter

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:08 pm

Many species of ants will merge colonies at young stages but camponotus isnt one of them